New Planet Discovered in Solar System, It Is Now The Most Distant Known Object by Scientists
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 28, 2014 11:10 AM EST
A dwarf planet has been discovered and it happens to be the most distant object in the solar system that scientists know about.
The planet similar in size to Huya which was earlier considered "likely" to be a dwarf plant. News Scientist has reported that 2012 VP113 orbits far beyond Pluto. It has been temporarily named as 2012 VP113 and it is considered among the list of "likely" dwarf planets. According to Professor Mike Brown, until March 27, 2014; there are 10 objects which are "nearly certainly" dwarf planets. There are 24 objects which are "highly likely" to be dwarf planets. There are 45 objects which are "likely" to be dwarf planets. There are 79 objects which are "probably" dwarf planets whereas 341 objects which are "possibly" dwarf planets.
A newly discovered planet-like object, dubbed "Sedna" is seen in this artist's concept released by NASA March 26, 2014. Astronomers have found a small icy body far beyond Pluto and the Kuiper Belt, a discovery that calls into question exactly what was going on during the early days of the solar system
2012 VP113 was noticed in the images which were shot in November 2012. While Earth is situated 1 astronomical unit away from the sun, this planet is 80 AU away. Scott Sheppard and his colleagues at the Carnegie Institution for Science in Washington, DC, discovered that the planet was a lump of ice and rock.
So far, planetoid Sedna, discovered in 2003, held the record of being the most distant known entity in the solar system while staying 76 AUs away from the sun. However, 2012 VP113 beats it emphatically. Such objects which orbit so far from the sun help scientists know more about the earlier phase of the solar system. They are so distantly situated that the gas planets cannot perturb them. However, they are too near to the sun to be influenced by the gravity of other entities in the galaxy. That is why these planets' behaviour and orbits have stayed almost the same since the day they were originally formed. More such objects in the region will help scientists "constrain the possible formation scenarios."
With the discovery of 2012 VP113, the number of objects known in the specific area now becomes two. Earlier, there was only one object used to be known to scientists. According to the research team, there are several others which exist in the same region and are "waiting to be discovered." Mr Sheppard said that Pluto used to be unique for more than 70 years. However, it has been learned that Pluto shares its orbit with thousands of other objects, he said. According to Mr Sheppard, Sedna remained unique for around 10 years. Nevertheless, 2012 VP113 and Sedna proved that they are "just the tip of the iceberg."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- Aurora Borealis Paints A Beautiful Picture On The Northern Skies [Watch Video]
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date