Canada Dedicates Highway to Champion Skier Sarah Burke
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 28, 2014 11:07 AM EST
Ontario is going to dedicate one of its highways to Canadian freestyle skier Sarah Burke who passed away after she met with a training accident in January 2012.
According to Toronto Sun, the highway which has been chosen to be renamed after Burke is Highway 93. Premier Kathleen Wynne announced on Wednesday, March 26, that the 24-kilometre stretch through Simcoe County will be called Sarah Burke Memorial Highway.
Canada's Yves Bourque reacts in the finish area during the men's 10km cross-country sitting at the 2014 Sochi Paralympic Winter Games in Rosa Khutor, March 16, 2014.
Burke was a native of the area. She eventually became the champion of her game as she won the Winter X Games four times. She was able to advocate in favour of introducing the women's halfpipe event at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Ms Wynne issued a statement saying that the Sarah Burke Memorial Highway would provide a permanent "reminder of her accomplishments." She said that it would remind girls of the "amazing possibilities" which were open to them in the province. Ms Wynne said that Burke had showed how much one could achieve if they dared to try.
Ms Burke met a lethal accident in January 2012 during a training session at the Park City Mountain resort in Utah. The accident tore the artery of her body that supplied blood to her brain. Her parents attended the ceremony hosted by Lieutenant Governor of Ontario David Onley and Ms Wynne, where the decision to dedicate the highway to the memory of Burke was announced. They said that the highway dedicated to their daughter was not far away from where Burke learned how to ski.
Burke's mother Jan Phelan said that the highway was her own backyard. Traveling along the highway brings back fond memories, she said. Burke's father Gord said that it was one of the "most incredible honours" for anyone, CBC News reported.
Ms Burke was the first woman to land a 180-degree spin in a competition. She also won the ESPY award of the Best Female Action Sports Athlete in 2007.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks