SK Telecoms Releases Galaxy S5 in South Korea 2 Weeks Ahead of April 11 Global Sale, Move Surprises Samsung
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 28, 2014 10:20 AM EST
The Samsung Galaxy S5 is scheduled to have a simultaneous global official release in 150 countries on April 11. However, a South Korean carrier has jumped the gun on the tech world and started selling the new flagship on Thursday, March 27, for 866,800 won.
Samsung Galaxy S5
Even Samsung, the manufacturer of the much anticipated device, was surprised by SK Telecom's move.
SK sold the S5 ahead of April 11 because it has been banned by the government to sign up customers in April and May as punishment for illegal subsidies to new clients. The same ban was imposed on KT Corp and LG Uplus Corp.
The carrier justified its defiance of Samsung, telling Korea Herald, "We just wanted to provide the device to local users as soon as possible. It is for the good of our subscribers."
Samsung said it is verifying the fact, although the Seoul-based tech giant admitted it sent mobile carriers limited number of the S5 for marketing and pre-sales activities.
C/Net noted that it was a risky move on the part of the carrier to jump the gun on Samsung and place in peril its future business dealings with the phone maker which unveiled the new flagship in February.
The S5 has a 5.1-inch display with 1920x1080 pixels and is powered by a 2,.5GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snahpdragon 801 processor. It runs on Android 4.4 OS and TouchWiz UI. The rear camera is 16 megapixels and the front-facing shooter is 2 mexapixels.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast