Qantas Job Axe Hits 26 Managers
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 28, 2014 10:00 AM EST
A seven-page memo to Qantas staff that was leaked to media said that 26 managers will get the axe as part of the embattled air carrier's cost-cutting programme in a bid to save $2 billion over three years.
antas CEO Alan Joyce poses next to a Qantas A380 model at the company's full year results new conference in central Sydney.
The Sydney Morning Herald named several senior managers who would join the 5,000 Qantas employees who would become unemployed in the coming months. They include Steve Treharthen, international security head; Gavin Harris, senior engineering manager; Max Kownatzki, Jetstar executive strategy manager; and Simon Chamberlain, head of Hooroo, the new travel booking site of Jetstar.
These developments are part of the major changes to the composition of Qantas's senior leadership team, although it has spared higher officials.
The international division, which has been losing business, will cut down the number of regional general managers, while those who will keep their post would have bigger number of countries under their supervision. This move would mean good-bye to the manager for Western Europe, Daniele Da-Rin; the head of alliances, Maxine Jacquet; and the head of international airports, Chadi Chalhoub.
The domestic business would even cut the position of regional manager, resulting in the axing of Ian Gay, Peter Collins, Allan Williams, Ken Ryan and Rina Karabesinis.
Qantas would also revert to its old set-up of having only one chief operating officer for the domestic and international operations, resulting in the departure of Domestic Chief Executive Matt Lee and the promotion of Jetstar executive Andrew David.
On the rank-and-file, expected to be axed are 1,500 workers performing back-office functions and 300 aircraft maintenance personnel.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health