Qantas Job Axe Hits 26 Managers
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 28, 2014 10:00 AM EST
A seven-page memo to Qantas staff that was leaked to media said that 26 managers will get the axe as part of the embattled air carrier's cost-cutting programme in a bid to save $2 billion over three years.
antas CEO Alan Joyce poses next to a Qantas A380 model at the company's full year results new conference in central Sydney.
The Sydney Morning Herald named several senior managers who would join the 5,000 Qantas employees who would become unemployed in the coming months. They include Steve Treharthen, international security head; Gavin Harris, senior engineering manager; Max Kownatzki, Jetstar executive strategy manager; and Simon Chamberlain, head of Hooroo, the new travel booking site of Jetstar.
These developments are part of the major changes to the composition of Qantas's senior leadership team, although it has spared higher officials.
The international division, which has been losing business, will cut down the number of regional general managers, while those who will keep their post would have bigger number of countries under their supervision. This move would mean good-bye to the manager for Western Europe, Daniele Da-Rin; the head of alliances, Maxine Jacquet; and the head of international airports, Chadi Chalhoub.
The domestic business would even cut the position of regional manager, resulting in the axing of Ian Gay, Peter Collins, Allan Williams, Ken Ryan and Rina Karabesinis.
Qantas would also revert to its old set-up of having only one chief operating officer for the domestic and international operations, resulting in the departure of Domestic Chief Executive Matt Lee and the promotion of Jetstar executive Andrew David.
On the rank-and-file, expected to be axed are 1,500 workers performing back-office functions and 300 aircraft maintenance personnel.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report