Qantas Job Axe Hits 26 Managers
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 28, 2014 10:00 AM EST
A seven-page memo to Qantas staff that was leaked to media said that 26 managers will get the axe as part of the embattled air carrier's cost-cutting programme in a bid to save $2 billion over three years.
antas CEO Alan Joyce poses next to a Qantas A380 model at the company's full year results new conference in central Sydney.
The Sydney Morning Herald named several senior managers who would join the 5,000 Qantas employees who would become unemployed in the coming months. They include Steve Treharthen, international security head; Gavin Harris, senior engineering manager; Max Kownatzki, Jetstar executive strategy manager; and Simon Chamberlain, head of Hooroo, the new travel booking site of Jetstar.
These developments are part of the major changes to the composition of Qantas's senior leadership team, although it has spared higher officials.
The international division, which has been losing business, will cut down the number of regional general managers, while those who will keep their post would have bigger number of countries under their supervision. This move would mean good-bye to the manager for Western Europe, Daniele Da-Rin; the head of alliances, Maxine Jacquet; and the head of international airports, Chadi Chalhoub.
The domestic business would even cut the position of regional manager, resulting in the axing of Ian Gay, Peter Collins, Allan Williams, Ken Ryan and Rina Karabesinis.
Qantas would also revert to its old set-up of having only one chief operating officer for the domestic and international operations, resulting in the departure of Domestic Chief Executive Matt Lee and the promotion of Jetstar executive Andrew David.
On the rank-and-file, expected to be axed are 1,500 workers performing back-office functions and 300 aircraft maintenance personnel.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected