MLB Trade Rumors: Stephen Strasburg Could Be Possible Trade Chip for Washington Nationals
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 28, 2014 9:21 AM EST
The Washington Nationals could perhaps make a big move in the coming months, and one of those is to trade ace pitcher Stephen Strasburg in exchange for quality assets.
In an article by USA Today Paul White last week, he discussed about potential blockbuster moves that could happen in the major league in the coming months, along with the potential buyers and sellers this season.
The writer mentioned about the Nationals' incoming dilemma with Strasburg, who soon to hit the free-agency in 2016. White brought up the possibility of Strasburg getting traded by the Nationals to get them some financial relief and the opportunity to re-sign slugger Bryce Harper a year after.
"Though the Lerner family ownership has shown a willingness to step up financially as the team contends, a challenge looms in paydays coming due as Strasburg and Harper reach - or even approach - free agency." the USA Today baseball insider stated.
"Strasburg can walk after the 2016 season, Harper two years later. Both are represented by Scott Boras, who usually steers clients toward free agency. And these clients' combined free agent value could approach $400 million. That's a lot for even the most dedicated owners."
White pointed out the Nationals can afford to lose Strasburg because of their depth in their starting pitching rotation. Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmerman and Doug Fister comprise a very talented pitching lineup, and trading Strasburg could allow the Nats to have the financial flexibility to retain the service of these hurlers.
"If there's one place Washington has depth, it's starting pitching. Gio Gonzalez is under contract through 2016 with a 2017 option. A Strasburg blockbuster could add more to the pipeline and free money for 2015 impending free agents Jordan Zimmermann and Doug Fister," USA Today writer stated.
The 25-year old Strasburg went 29-19 with 2.96 ERA and 504 strikeouts over his four-year career. Last season, Strasburg went 8-9 with a 3.00 ERA and 191 strikeouts for the Nationals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu