MLB Trade Rumors: Stephen Strasburg Could Be Possible Trade Chip for Washington Nationals
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 28, 2014 9:21 AM EST
The Washington Nationals could perhaps make a big move in the coming months, and one of those is to trade ace pitcher Stephen Strasburg in exchange for quality assets.
In an article by USA Today Paul White last week, he discussed about potential blockbuster moves that could happen in the major league in the coming months, along with the potential buyers and sellers this season.
The writer mentioned about the Nationals' incoming dilemma with Strasburg, who soon to hit the free-agency in 2016. White brought up the possibility of Strasburg getting traded by the Nationals to get them some financial relief and the opportunity to re-sign slugger Bryce Harper a year after.
"Though the Lerner family ownership has shown a willingness to step up financially as the team contends, a challenge looms in paydays coming due as Strasburg and Harper reach - or even approach - free agency." the USA Today baseball insider stated.
"Strasburg can walk after the 2016 season, Harper two years later. Both are represented by Scott Boras, who usually steers clients toward free agency. And these clients' combined free agent value could approach $400 million. That's a lot for even the most dedicated owners."
White pointed out the Nationals can afford to lose Strasburg because of their depth in their starting pitching rotation. Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmerman and Doug Fister comprise a very talented pitching lineup, and trading Strasburg could allow the Nats to have the financial flexibility to retain the service of these hurlers.
"If there's one place Washington has depth, it's starting pitching. Gio Gonzalez is under contract through 2016 with a 2017 option. A Strasburg blockbuster could add more to the pipeline and free money for 2015 impending free agents Jordan Zimmermann and Doug Fister," USA Today writer stated.
The 25-year old Strasburg went 29-19 with 2.96 ERA and 504 strikeouts over his four-year career. Last season, Strasburg went 8-9 with a 3.00 ERA and 191 strikeouts for the Nationals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’