MLB Trade Rumors: Stephen Strasburg Could Be Possible Trade Chip for Washington Nationals
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 28, 2014 9:21 AM EST
The Washington Nationals could perhaps make a big move in the coming months, and one of those is to trade ace pitcher Stephen Strasburg in exchange for quality assets.
In an article by USA Today Paul White last week, he discussed about potential blockbuster moves that could happen in the major league in the coming months, along with the potential buyers and sellers this season.
The writer mentioned about the Nationals' incoming dilemma with Strasburg, who soon to hit the free-agency in 2016. White brought up the possibility of Strasburg getting traded by the Nationals to get them some financial relief and the opportunity to re-sign slugger Bryce Harper a year after.
"Though the Lerner family ownership has shown a willingness to step up financially as the team contends, a challenge looms in paydays coming due as Strasburg and Harper reach - or even approach - free agency." the USA Today baseball insider stated.
"Strasburg can walk after the 2016 season, Harper two years later. Both are represented by Scott Boras, who usually steers clients toward free agency. And these clients' combined free agent value could approach $400 million. That's a lot for even the most dedicated owners."
White pointed out the Nationals can afford to lose Strasburg because of their depth in their starting pitching rotation. Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmerman and Doug Fister comprise a very talented pitching lineup, and trading Strasburg could allow the Nats to have the financial flexibility to retain the service of these hurlers.
"If there's one place Washington has depth, it's starting pitching. Gio Gonzalez is under contract through 2016 with a 2017 option. A Strasburg blockbuster could add more to the pipeline and free money for 2015 impending free agents Jordan Zimmermann and Doug Fister," USA Today writer stated.
The 25-year old Strasburg went 29-19 with 2.96 ERA and 504 strikeouts over his four-year career. Last season, Strasburg went 8-9 with a 3.00 ERA and 191 strikeouts for the Nationals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft