MLB Trade Rumors: Stephen Strasburg Could Be Possible Trade Chip for Washington Nationals
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 28, 2014 9:21 AM EST
The Washington Nationals could perhaps make a big move in the coming months, and one of those is to trade ace pitcher Stephen Strasburg in exchange for quality assets.
In an article by USA Today Paul White last week, he discussed about potential blockbuster moves that could happen in the major league in the coming months, along with the potential buyers and sellers this season.
The writer mentioned about the Nationals' incoming dilemma with Strasburg, who soon to hit the free-agency in 2016. White brought up the possibility of Strasburg getting traded by the Nationals to get them some financial relief and the opportunity to re-sign slugger Bryce Harper a year after.
"Though the Lerner family ownership has shown a willingness to step up financially as the team contends, a challenge looms in paydays coming due as Strasburg and Harper reach - or even approach - free agency." the USA Today baseball insider stated.
"Strasburg can walk after the 2016 season, Harper two years later. Both are represented by Scott Boras, who usually steers clients toward free agency. And these clients' combined free agent value could approach $400 million. That's a lot for even the most dedicated owners."
White pointed out the Nationals can afford to lose Strasburg because of their depth in their starting pitching rotation. Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmerman and Doug Fister comprise a very talented pitching lineup, and trading Strasburg could allow the Nats to have the financial flexibility to retain the service of these hurlers.
"If there's one place Washington has depth, it's starting pitching. Gio Gonzalez is under contract through 2016 with a 2017 option. A Strasburg blockbuster could add more to the pipeline and free money for 2015 impending free agents Jordan Zimmermann and Doug Fister," USA Today writer stated.
The 25-year old Strasburg went 29-19 with 2.96 ERA and 504 strikeouts over his four-year career. Last season, Strasburg went 8-9 with a 3.00 ERA and 191 strikeouts for the Nationals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks