MLB Trade Rumors: Stephen Strasburg Could Be Possible Trade Chip for Washington Nationals
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 28, 2014 9:21 AM EST
The Washington Nationals could perhaps make a big move in the coming months, and one of those is to trade ace pitcher Stephen Strasburg in exchange for quality assets.
In an article by USA Today Paul White last week, he discussed about potential blockbuster moves that could happen in the major league in the coming months, along with the potential buyers and sellers this season.
The writer mentioned about the Nationals' incoming dilemma with Strasburg, who soon to hit the free-agency in 2016. White brought up the possibility of Strasburg getting traded by the Nationals to get them some financial relief and the opportunity to re-sign slugger Bryce Harper a year after.
"Though the Lerner family ownership has shown a willingness to step up financially as the team contends, a challenge looms in paydays coming due as Strasburg and Harper reach - or even approach - free agency." the USA Today baseball insider stated.
"Strasburg can walk after the 2016 season, Harper two years later. Both are represented by Scott Boras, who usually steers clients toward free agency. And these clients' combined free agent value could approach $400 million. That's a lot for even the most dedicated owners."
White pointed out the Nationals can afford to lose Strasburg because of their depth in their starting pitching rotation. Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmerman and Doug Fister comprise a very talented pitching lineup, and trading Strasburg could allow the Nats to have the financial flexibility to retain the service of these hurlers.
"If there's one place Washington has depth, it's starting pitching. Gio Gonzalez is under contract through 2016 with a 2017 option. A Strasburg blockbuster could add more to the pipeline and free money for 2015 impending free agents Jordan Zimmermann and Doug Fister," USA Today writer stated.
The 25-year old Strasburg went 29-19 with 2.96 ERA and 504 strikeouts over his four-year career. Last season, Strasburg went 8-9 with a 3.00 ERA and 191 strikeouts for the Nationals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’