Flight MH370 Search: Recovery Operations Suspended Again, Grieving Relatives Begin Exodus to Australia
By Reissa Su | March 27, 2014 7:43 PM EST
Those searching the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 were forced to stop operations for the second time this week due to bad weather. The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) had previously said the probing activity in the area, which is some 2500 kilometers southwest of Perth, is expected to worsen.
A family member of a passenger onboard Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 cries on a bus before heading to the Malaysian embassy, outside Lido Hotel in Beijing, March 25, 2014. Bad weather and rough seas on Tuesday forced the suspension of the search for any wreckage of a missing Malaysian jetliner that officials are now sure crashed in the remote Indian Ocean with the loss of all 239 people on board. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon
In Twitter, AMSA posted a tweet that search operations for the lost Malaysia Airlines plane will be suspended for the day. All aircraft, including those from New Zealand and the U.S., will be heading to Perth. Ships that were also in the search area turned back to shore.
Satellite images from France, China and Australia showed possible debris floating in the southern Indian Ocean where the plane was suspected to have crashed with no survivors. Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 carrying 239 people on board went missing on March 8 shortly after its take off from Kuala Lumpur. The Boeing 777 jet was on its way to Beijing.
After hearing the Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak's statement regarding the last known location of the missing plane somewhere in the remote area of the southern Indian Ocean, grieving family members and relatives have been demanding an exodus to Australia as a closer venue to the searching efforts.
Families of the 239 people who were believed to be lost along with the Malaysia Airlines plane somewhere in the Indian Ocean have clamored to travel to Perth.
On March 25, Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott told Parliament that the search for the missing aircraft has turned into a recovery operation. The investigation would be possibly handed back to Malaysia since it was legally responsible under the Chicago Convention covering international air travel.
Abbott said in the coming days, family members of the lost passengers may visit Australia. He assured them that they will be in the "arms of a decent country." He added it will waive visa fees for any relatives to come to Perth.
International search crews scouring the Indian Ocean for debris of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 will be joined by a fleet of 3,600 robots. Marine recovery teams are racing against the clock to find the black boxes of the plane before they run out of batteries in about 2 weeks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged