Premier League Result: Liverpool 2-1 Sunderland Highlights, Scores, Updates (Video)
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 27, 2014 7:35 PM EST
Liverpool's attacking dominance triumphed over Sunderland's physical defense on Wednesday at Anfield, as the guests left empty handed with a 2-1 defeat.
Liverpool's Sturridge celebrates with teammates Gerrard and Henderson after scoring a goal during their English Premier League soccer match against Sunderland at Anfield in Liverpool
A foul committed by Black Cats defender Santiago Vergini on striker Luis Suarez at the edge of the box proved to be fatal as Reds skipper Steven Gerrard was able to take full advantage of it by delivering a powerful and precise free-kick directed towards the right top corner.
Shot-stopper Vito Mannone got a piece of the ball, but it was just too hot to handle.
It took the home side 39 minutes and eight attempts at goal before they could break the 0-0 deadlock, however, with just three minutes in after the restart, Suarez's partner-in-crime, Daniel Strurridge, was able to find the net via a beautiful curling ball, just inside the left side of the box, that found its way to the right top corner.
Just when everybody thought it was over, Sunderland responded on the 76th minute through a Ki Sung-Yueng header from close range from an Adam Johnson corner.
In spite of the Black Cats' last ditch attempt to make something out of the game, they failed to follow through, with a John O'shea header as their final crack on goal at the 88th minute sailing wide.
By virtue of their win, Liverpool, who currently has 68 points, overtook Manchester City and now occupies second place, just a point behind leaders Chelsea.
Meanwhile, Suderland remains in the relegation zone wit 25 points.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery