Premier League Result: Liverpool 2-1 Sunderland Highlights, Scores, Updates (Video)
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 27, 2014 7:35 PM EST
Liverpool's attacking dominance triumphed over Sunderland's physical defense on Wednesday at Anfield, as the guests left empty handed with a 2-1 defeat.
Liverpool's Sturridge celebrates with teammates Gerrard and Henderson after scoring a goal during their English Premier League soccer match against Sunderland at Anfield in Liverpool
A foul committed by Black Cats defender Santiago Vergini on striker Luis Suarez at the edge of the box proved to be fatal as Reds skipper Steven Gerrard was able to take full advantage of it by delivering a powerful and precise free-kick directed towards the right top corner.
Shot-stopper Vito Mannone got a piece of the ball, but it was just too hot to handle.
It took the home side 39 minutes and eight attempts at goal before they could break the 0-0 deadlock, however, with just three minutes in after the restart, Suarez's partner-in-crime, Daniel Strurridge, was able to find the net via a beautiful curling ball, just inside the left side of the box, that found its way to the right top corner.
Just when everybody thought it was over, Sunderland responded on the 76th minute through a Ki Sung-Yueng header from close range from an Adam Johnson corner.
In spite of the Black Cats' last ditch attempt to make something out of the game, they failed to follow through, with a John O'shea header as their final crack on goal at the 88th minute sailing wide.
By virtue of their win, Liverpool, who currently has 68 points, overtook Manchester City and now occupies second place, just a point behind leaders Chelsea.
Meanwhile, Suderland remains in the relegation zone wit 25 points.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report