Mumbai-Pune Expressway Accident: 2 Dead as Tourist Bus-Tempo Catch Fire in Collision
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 27, 2014 7:06 PM EST
Two people were charred to death when a tempo dashed into a stationary tourist bus on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway in the wee hours of Thursday, reported Times of India.
Picture used for representational purpose only
The accident took place near the Talegaon Toll Plaza on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway at around 3 am. The tourist bus, carrying 35 passengers, was travelling from Mumbai to Bangalore. The bus had some technical problems, which forced the driver to park the vehicle on the sideways near the Talegaon toll plaza.
A speeding tempo had apparently dashed into the bus and both the vehicles caught fire in the collision. Two people - the tempo's driver and cleaner - were charred to death in the incident. However, passengers from tourist bus were safe as they had alighted from the vehicle to get some fresh air.
Fire brigade officials rushed to the spot to control the blaze, which took two hours for them to bring the fire under control.
The police recovered the charred remains of the two victims who died in the accident. Their identities are yet to be ascertained as the tempo had been burnt badly making it tough for th cops to identify the number plate of the vehicle.
"All the bus passengers had safely managed to evacuate the vehicle after the accident. The registration number plate of the tempo have also been burnt badly; so investigation is on to find out the identities of the two deceased persons in the tempo," a police official told TOI.
Talegaon police are probing into the matter. The accident brought the traffic on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway to a standstill for two hours.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen