Mumbai-Pune Expressway Accident: 2 Dead as Tourist Bus-Tempo Catch Fire in Collision
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 27, 2014 7:06 PM EST
Two people were charred to death when a tempo dashed into a stationary tourist bus on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway in the wee hours of Thursday, reported Times of India.
Picture used for representational purpose only
The accident took place near the Talegaon Toll Plaza on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway at around 3 am. The tourist bus, carrying 35 passengers, was travelling from Mumbai to Bangalore. The bus had some technical problems, which forced the driver to park the vehicle on the sideways near the Talegaon toll plaza.
A speeding tempo had apparently dashed into the bus and both the vehicles caught fire in the collision. Two people - the tempo's driver and cleaner - were charred to death in the incident. However, passengers from tourist bus were safe as they had alighted from the vehicle to get some fresh air.
Fire brigade officials rushed to the spot to control the blaze, which took two hours for them to bring the fire under control.
The police recovered the charred remains of the two victims who died in the accident. Their identities are yet to be ascertained as the tempo had been burnt badly making it tough for th cops to identify the number plate of the vehicle.
"All the bus passengers had safely managed to evacuate the vehicle after the accident. The registration number plate of the tempo have also been burnt badly; so investigation is on to find out the identities of the two deceased persons in the tempo," a police official told TOI.
Talegaon police are probing into the matter. The accident brought the traffic on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway to a standstill for two hours.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- British Teenager Wants Her Leg Cut To be Able To Compete At Paralympics – Watch Video
- Pope Francis, Catholic Church Key To Climate Change Effort
- Passengers Shouted 'Shame' On Pak Politician For Delaying Flight And Barred Him From Boarding
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border