Mumbai-Pune Expressway Accident: 2 Dead as Tourist Bus-Tempo Catch Fire in Collision
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 27, 2014 7:06 PM EST
Two people were charred to death when a tempo dashed into a stationary tourist bus on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway in the wee hours of Thursday, reported Times of India.
Picture used for representational purpose only
The accident took place near the Talegaon Toll Plaza on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway at around 3 am. The tourist bus, carrying 35 passengers, was travelling from Mumbai to Bangalore. The bus had some technical problems, which forced the driver to park the vehicle on the sideways near the Talegaon toll plaza.
A speeding tempo had apparently dashed into the bus and both the vehicles caught fire in the collision. Two people - the tempo's driver and cleaner - were charred to death in the incident. However, passengers from tourist bus were safe as they had alighted from the vehicle to get some fresh air.
Fire brigade officials rushed to the spot to control the blaze, which took two hours for them to bring the fire under control.
The police recovered the charred remains of the two victims who died in the accident. Their identities are yet to be ascertained as the tempo had been burnt badly making it tough for th cops to identify the number plate of the vehicle.
"All the bus passengers had safely managed to evacuate the vehicle after the accident. The registration number plate of the tempo have also been burnt badly; so investigation is on to find out the identities of the two deceased persons in the tempo," a police official told TOI.
Talegaon police are probing into the matter. The accident brought the traffic on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway to a standstill for two hours.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- UN Vows to Bring MH17 Crash Perpetrators to Justice; Downing of Plane a 'War Crime'
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report