Mumbai-Pune Expressway Accident: 2 Dead as Tourist Bus-Tempo Catch Fire in Collision
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 27, 2014 7:06 PM EST
Two people were charred to death when a tempo dashed into a stationary tourist bus on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway in the wee hours of Thursday, reported Times of India.
Picture used for representational purpose only
The accident took place near the Talegaon Toll Plaza on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway at around 3 am. The tourist bus, carrying 35 passengers, was travelling from Mumbai to Bangalore. The bus had some technical problems, which forced the driver to park the vehicle on the sideways near the Talegaon toll plaza.
A speeding tempo had apparently dashed into the bus and both the vehicles caught fire in the collision. Two people - the tempo's driver and cleaner - were charred to death in the incident. However, passengers from tourist bus were safe as they had alighted from the vehicle to get some fresh air.
Fire brigade officials rushed to the spot to control the blaze, which took two hours for them to bring the fire under control.
The police recovered the charred remains of the two victims who died in the accident. Their identities are yet to be ascertained as the tempo had been burnt badly making it tough for th cops to identify the number plate of the vehicle.
"All the bus passengers had safely managed to evacuate the vehicle after the accident. The registration number plate of the tempo have also been burnt badly; so investigation is on to find out the identities of the two deceased persons in the tempo," a police official told TOI.
Talegaon police are probing into the matter. The accident brought the traffic on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway to a standstill for two hours.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon