Boxing News 2014: Chavez Jr. vs. Golovkin Super Middleweight Showdown Likely To Happen on July 12
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 27, 2014 6:40 PM EST
The super middleweight showdown between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and undefeated champion Gennady 'Triple G' Golovkin could happen on July 12th, according to boxing writer Steve Kim.
Coming off a unanimous decision win over Brian Vera in their 12-round rematch, Chavez Jr. sets sight on a tougher test as he challenges Golovkin, who boasts a flawless 29-0 record with 26 KOs.
"A huge fight between Gennady Golovkin (29-0, 26 KO's) and former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (48-2-1, 32 KO's) is very likely to happen on July 12th, according to Steve Kim. He says that he's hearing that the fight has a VERY good chance of taking place in July," via Boxing News 24.
Making the weight limit has been the biggest dilemma for Chavez Jr. through his career. He could have picked Andre Ward or Carl Froch as his next opponent, but there's a lot of risk fighting these battle-tested warriors.
Against Golovkin, Chavez is expected to have a significant advantage in weight and height. Moreover, Triple G hasn't faced a legit opponent in his career, and the fight against Chavez Jr. could be the match that would validate his claim as a pound-for-pound star.
"The Golovkin-Chavez Jr. would take place at super middleweight because Chavez Jr. can no longer get down to the 160lb division without totally starving himself to the point where he's too weak to fight. You can expect that we'll soon see Chaves Jr. grow out of the 168lb division as well, if he hasn't already," according to Dan Ambrose of Boxing News 24.
For Golovkin, the potential clash with Chavez Jr. could earn him not only respect from boxing pundits a huge payday against a legit star, after being snubbed by several contenders in the middleweight division.
"Golovkin has been trying to get a big fight against one of the top middleweights in Sergio Martinez, Peter Quillin and Daniel Geale, but none of them has agreed to get in the ring with him. By the same token, Golovkin isn't interested in moving up to the super middleweight division to face guys like Carl Froch and Andre Ward," via Boxing News 24.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop