Boxing News 2014: Chavez Jr. vs. Golovkin Super Middleweight Showdown Likely To Happen on July 12
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 27, 2014 6:40 PM EST
The super middleweight showdown between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and undefeated champion Gennady 'Triple G' Golovkin could happen on July 12th, according to boxing writer Steve Kim.
Coming off a unanimous decision win over Brian Vera in their 12-round rematch, Chavez Jr. sets sight on a tougher test as he challenges Golovkin, who boasts a flawless 29-0 record with 26 KOs.
"A huge fight between Gennady Golovkin (29-0, 26 KO's) and former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (48-2-1, 32 KO's) is very likely to happen on July 12th, according to Steve Kim. He says that he's hearing that the fight has a VERY good chance of taking place in July," via Boxing News 24.
Making the weight limit has been the biggest dilemma for Chavez Jr. through his career. He could have picked Andre Ward or Carl Froch as his next opponent, but there's a lot of risk fighting these battle-tested warriors.
Against Golovkin, Chavez is expected to have a significant advantage in weight and height. Moreover, Triple G hasn't faced a legit opponent in his career, and the fight against Chavez Jr. could be the match that would validate his claim as a pound-for-pound star.
"The Golovkin-Chavez Jr. would take place at super middleweight because Chavez Jr. can no longer get down to the 160lb division without totally starving himself to the point where he's too weak to fight. You can expect that we'll soon see Chaves Jr. grow out of the 168lb division as well, if he hasn't already," according to Dan Ambrose of Boxing News 24.
For Golovkin, the potential clash with Chavez Jr. could earn him not only respect from boxing pundits a huge payday against a legit star, after being snubbed by several contenders in the middleweight division.
"Golovkin has been trying to get a big fight against one of the top middleweights in Sergio Martinez, Peter Quillin and Daniel Geale, but none of them has agreed to get in the ring with him. By the same token, Golovkin isn't interested in moving up to the super middleweight division to face guys like Carl Froch and Andre Ward," via Boxing News 24.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft