Boxing News 2014: Chavez Jr. vs. Golovkin Super Middleweight Showdown Likely To Happen on July 12
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 27, 2014 6:40 PM EST
The super middleweight showdown between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and undefeated champion Gennady 'Triple G' Golovkin could happen on July 12th, according to boxing writer Steve Kim.
Coming off a unanimous decision win over Brian Vera in their 12-round rematch, Chavez Jr. sets sight on a tougher test as he challenges Golovkin, who boasts a flawless 29-0 record with 26 KOs.
"A huge fight between Gennady Golovkin (29-0, 26 KO's) and former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (48-2-1, 32 KO's) is very likely to happen on July 12th, according to Steve Kim. He says that he's hearing that the fight has a VERY good chance of taking place in July," via Boxing News 24.
Making the weight limit has been the biggest dilemma for Chavez Jr. through his career. He could have picked Andre Ward or Carl Froch as his next opponent, but there's a lot of risk fighting these battle-tested warriors.
Against Golovkin, Chavez is expected to have a significant advantage in weight and height. Moreover, Triple G hasn't faced a legit opponent in his career, and the fight against Chavez Jr. could be the match that would validate his claim as a pound-for-pound star.
"The Golovkin-Chavez Jr. would take place at super middleweight because Chavez Jr. can no longer get down to the 160lb division without totally starving himself to the point where he's too weak to fight. You can expect that we'll soon see Chaves Jr. grow out of the 168lb division as well, if he hasn't already," according to Dan Ambrose of Boxing News 24.
For Golovkin, the potential clash with Chavez Jr. could earn him not only respect from boxing pundits a huge payday against a legit star, after being snubbed by several contenders in the middleweight division.
"Golovkin has been trying to get a big fight against one of the top middleweights in Sergio Martinez, Peter Quillin and Daniel Geale, but none of them has agreed to get in the ring with him. By the same token, Golovkin isn't interested in moving up to the super middleweight division to face guys like Carl Froch and Andre Ward," via Boxing News 24.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’