Boxing News 2014: Chavez Jr. vs. Golovkin Super Middleweight Showdown Likely To Happen on July 12
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 27, 2014 6:40 PM EST
The super middleweight showdown between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and undefeated champion Gennady 'Triple G' Golovkin could happen on July 12th, according to boxing writer Steve Kim.
Coming off a unanimous decision win over Brian Vera in their 12-round rematch, Chavez Jr. sets sight on a tougher test as he challenges Golovkin, who boasts a flawless 29-0 record with 26 KOs.
"A huge fight between Gennady Golovkin (29-0, 26 KO's) and former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (48-2-1, 32 KO's) is very likely to happen on July 12th, according to Steve Kim. He says that he's hearing that the fight has a VERY good chance of taking place in July," via Boxing News 24.
Making the weight limit has been the biggest dilemma for Chavez Jr. through his career. He could have picked Andre Ward or Carl Froch as his next opponent, but there's a lot of risk fighting these battle-tested warriors.
Against Golovkin, Chavez is expected to have a significant advantage in weight and height. Moreover, Triple G hasn't faced a legit opponent in his career, and the fight against Chavez Jr. could be the match that would validate his claim as a pound-for-pound star.
"The Golovkin-Chavez Jr. would take place at super middleweight because Chavez Jr. can no longer get down to the 160lb division without totally starving himself to the point where he's too weak to fight. You can expect that we'll soon see Chaves Jr. grow out of the 168lb division as well, if he hasn't already," according to Dan Ambrose of Boxing News 24.
For Golovkin, the potential clash with Chavez Jr. could earn him not only respect from boxing pundits a huge payday against a legit star, after being snubbed by several contenders in the middleweight division.
"Golovkin has been trying to get a big fight against one of the top middleweights in Sergio Martinez, Peter Quillin and Daniel Geale, but none of them has agreed to get in the ring with him. By the same token, Golovkin isn't interested in moving up to the super middleweight division to face guys like Carl Froch and Andre Ward," via Boxing News 24.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related