Boxing News 2014: Chavez Jr. vs. Golovkin Super Middleweight Showdown Likely To Happen on July 12
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 27, 2014 6:40 PM EST
The super middleweight showdown between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and undefeated champion Gennady 'Triple G' Golovkin could happen on July 12th, according to boxing writer Steve Kim.
Coming off a unanimous decision win over Brian Vera in their 12-round rematch, Chavez Jr. sets sight on a tougher test as he challenges Golovkin, who boasts a flawless 29-0 record with 26 KOs.
"A huge fight between Gennady Golovkin (29-0, 26 KO's) and former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (48-2-1, 32 KO's) is very likely to happen on July 12th, according to Steve Kim. He says that he's hearing that the fight has a VERY good chance of taking place in July," via Boxing News 24.
Making the weight limit has been the biggest dilemma for Chavez Jr. through his career. He could have picked Andre Ward or Carl Froch as his next opponent, but there's a lot of risk fighting these battle-tested warriors.
Against Golovkin, Chavez is expected to have a significant advantage in weight and height. Moreover, Triple G hasn't faced a legit opponent in his career, and the fight against Chavez Jr. could be the match that would validate his claim as a pound-for-pound star.
"The Golovkin-Chavez Jr. would take place at super middleweight because Chavez Jr. can no longer get down to the 160lb division without totally starving himself to the point where he's too weak to fight. You can expect that we'll soon see Chaves Jr. grow out of the 168lb division as well, if he hasn't already," according to Dan Ambrose of Boxing News 24.
For Golovkin, the potential clash with Chavez Jr. could earn him not only respect from boxing pundits a huge payday against a legit star, after being snubbed by several contenders in the middleweight division.
"Golovkin has been trying to get a big fight against one of the top middleweights in Sergio Martinez, Peter Quillin and Daniel Geale, but none of them has agreed to get in the ring with him. By the same token, Golovkin isn't interested in moving up to the super middleweight division to face guys like Carl Froch and Andre Ward," via Boxing News 24.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen