NBA News: Tom Izzo Bound To Coach Detroit Pistons?
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 27, 2014 6:40 PM EST
The Detroit Pistons are expected to make a run at Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo at the conclusion of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament, a source close to situation reported on Tuesday.
After relieving head coach Mo Cheeks from his duty, the Pistons are out to hire a new bench tactician that will help the franchise get back in the postseason. According to initial reports, Izzo appears to be the top candidate for the head coaching gig, the Sparty coach denied the rumors.
"There's been so many rumors over the years," Izzo said in an interview with ESPN. "I look at people I used to recruit against years ago [that] said that I'd be gone, but I'm still here and some of those schools have had three different coaches. I've always said I'd never say never to anything because you never know what it brings.
But I got so much more work to do here. I have a great president, a great [athletics director] and a football coach that I really get along [with]. So this is a pretty good place for me right now. We're in a pretty good spot. [The] program's in pretty good shape. [It] ain't broke, so why fix it?"
Despite his denial, Izzo is a big contract away from accepting a head coaching duty in the NBA. The veteran coach spearheaded the Spartans to greater heights during his tenure, turning the program into a perennial powerhouse in college hoops.
If Izzo decided to leave college, the Pistons are expected to have a competition in the Minnesota Timberwolves, whose coach Rick Adelman is expected to retire after this season.
"A report last summer suggested the Timberwolves were eyeing Izzo as a possible replacement for Rick Adelman, who instead decided to return for another season. There's speculation that Adelman will step aside this summer, so the Pistons might have NBA competition for Izzo," via Michael Roserberg of Sports Illustrated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS