‘Today’ Host Karl Stefanovic Reveals Bosses Are ‘Planning To Get Rid Of Me’
By Anne Lu | March 27, 2014 6:15 PM EST
“Today” co-host Karl Stefanovic is in danger of losing his job. The 39-year-old Logie-winning presenter has revealed that his job is constantly being offered to others, and he is just fine with it.
Earlier the week, it was learned that former “Sunrise” producer Adam Boland suggested in 2011 that the show replace its hosts David Koch and Mel Doyle with newer faces. Koch is still the presenter, but Doyle was fired in 2013.
With the furore on Boland’s leaked email, Stefanovic revealed that no one’s job at the breakfast show industry is really safe.
Speaking with Nova’s Fitzy and Wippa on Thursday, Stefanovic said that despite being one of the most popular breakfast show presenters in the country, he has no job security at all.
“As if it doesn’t happen everywhere,” he said, referring to Koch almost being sacked from the rival show. “In my first year at the Today show, I had three people come up to me at the car park and say, ‘Mate, I’ve just been offered your job.’ Mike Munro, Ray Martin, and Ben Fordham. I’m 100 per cent serious.”
He has proven to his bosses that he was the right man for the job, though. Since he was fired in 2005, he has earned two Logie Awards: a Gold Logie for Most Popular Personality and a Silver for Most Popular Presenter in 2011.
But even if he is already in possession of accolades to prove his worth, he knows that his job could be taken away from him at any time.
“I know that ‘upstairs’ is actively planning to get rid of me, and I like it. I embrace it. I don’t care. It’s best to go, ‘It’s TV, eventually they will, so I’m just gonna have a great time and sail on into the sunset,’” he told the radio hosts.
Stefanovic truly doesn’t appear to be worried at his possible sacking. In 2009, he was suspected of being drunk on live television in the morning after attending the Logie Awards the night before.
He is now allowed to attend the party again after five years.
“[Nine Network boss] David Gyngell has given me his seal of approval to drink at the Logies – and to drink a lot,” Stefanovic revealed to the Mail Online. “The only thing he is demanding of me is that I show up the next day.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS