‘Today’ Host Karl Stefanovic Reveals Bosses Are ‘Planning To Get Rid Of Me’
By Anne Lu | March 27, 2014 6:15 PM EST
“Today” co-host Karl Stefanovic is in danger of losing his job. The 39-year-old Logie-winning presenter has revealed that his job is constantly being offered to others, and he is just fine with it.
Earlier the week, it was learned that former “Sunrise” producer Adam Boland suggested in 2011 that the show replace its hosts David Koch and Mel Doyle with newer faces. Koch is still the presenter, but Doyle was fired in 2013.
With the furore on Boland’s leaked email, Stefanovic revealed that no one’s job at the breakfast show industry is really safe.
Speaking with Nova’s Fitzy and Wippa on Thursday, Stefanovic said that despite being one of the most popular breakfast show presenters in the country, he has no job security at all.
“As if it doesn’t happen everywhere,” he said, referring to Koch almost being sacked from the rival show. “In my first year at the Today show, I had three people come up to me at the car park and say, ‘Mate, I’ve just been offered your job.’ Mike Munro, Ray Martin, and Ben Fordham. I’m 100 per cent serious.”
He has proven to his bosses that he was the right man for the job, though. Since he was fired in 2005, he has earned two Logie Awards: a Gold Logie for Most Popular Personality and a Silver for Most Popular Presenter in 2011.
But even if he is already in possession of accolades to prove his worth, he knows that his job could be taken away from him at any time.
“I know that ‘upstairs’ is actively planning to get rid of me, and I like it. I embrace it. I don’t care. It’s best to go, ‘It’s TV, eventually they will, so I’m just gonna have a great time and sail on into the sunset,’” he told the radio hosts.
Stefanovic truly doesn’t appear to be worried at his possible sacking. In 2009, he was suspected of being drunk on live television in the morning after attending the Logie Awards the night before.
He is now allowed to attend the party again after five years.
“[Nine Network boss] David Gyngell has given me his seal of approval to drink at the Logies – and to drink a lot,” Stefanovic revealed to the Mail Online. “The only thing he is demanding of me is that I show up the next day.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments