Italian Nun Singing Alicia Keys Song on Reality Show Becomes Latest Viral Phenomenon on YouTube
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 27, 2014 5:57 PM EST
A nun from Sicily has become the latest Internet sensation with her singing skills.
Sister Cristina Scuccia stunned the judges of the Italian version of The Voice. She sang one of the Alicia Keys songs, and the video of the performance was viewed by over 30 million people on YouTube within a week. The latest viral phenomenon has all the possibilities to outsmart Korean pop star Psy who became a legendary name with his Gangnam Style video that reached 10 million views in 3 weeks. Eventually, it received nearly 2 billion hits.
Italian rap singer J-Ax, who is one of the judges in the show, literally had his jaws dropped on the floor when he heard Sister Scuccia singing No One, a hugely popular rendition of the U.S. singing star Alicia Keys. The Daily Mail called Sister Scuccia's voice "heavenly" which incredibly impressed J-Ax who told Sister Scuccia that he would have become a pope if he had a nun like her at Sunday school. J-Ax was fast to take Sister Scuccia in his team and said that they would become an "unbeatable" force together. He called his collaborative efforts with Sister Scuccia as the "Devil and Holy Water."
Another judge asked Sister Scuccia if she was really a nun, to which she replied, "very real indeed." Sister Scuccia said that she had a gift, and she came to "give it" to them. Sister Scuccia also said that she would definitely expect a call from Pope Francis after her performance. Sister Scuccia might not have sounded overly ambitious by expressing her expectations of getting a call from the pope as he does have a habit of talking to nuns and parishioners over the telephone, the Daily Mail reported.
Sister Scuccia is from a small town near Palermo. She was offered to star in a musical about St Ursula when she was just 17. Sister Scuccia said that she had felt that her life was changing after each performance she gave. She continued to learn dancing and singing and even auditioned for the X-factor. Sister Scuccia told Italian newspaper La Repubblica that she followed the pope's advice to reach out to common people. Her singing was a means of doing so, she said.
Watch her singing HERE.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic's Beckett To See Nathan Fillion's Rick 'On A Sugar Rush' Again [REVIEW]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery