Newcastle Knights Dedicated the Season to Alex McKinnon
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 27, 2014 5:55 PM EST
Captain Kurt Gidley of Newcastle Knights have dedicated the remaining NRL season to the team-mate Alex McKinnon, who is currently under recovery from spinal surgery.
"I'd like to think we play the rest of the year for him." Gidley added.
"He's a champion young fellow, Alex. He's well liked throughout the team, and he loves his footy in general - he lives and breathes his footy."
"I know it will certainly be a tough time for him going forward with his rehab but he's got the full support of all of us as players, and I'm sure everyone from Newcastle .... I think we've seen that this week. The club's got plenty of emails, letters, phone calls, text messages. Even myself, I've had people who don't even know Alex text me and wish him all the best, so all our thoughts and prayers are with him."
Willie Mason, senior Knights forward, stated he could not recall any tough week so far in his long career.
"It's out of the ordinary for me, and I think everybody playing NRL these days ... There's shock throughout the NRL fraternity and it's something where there's no manuscript to say this is how you deal with it, this how you've got to feel and this is how you've got to act, so it's uncommon ground for all of us,'' Mason said.
Paul Conlon, judiciary chairman of NRL, allowed prop Jordan McLean of Melbourne to play for the Storm against Bulldogs at NIB stadium in Perth on Saturday.
However, McLean has to face the judiciary committee on Wednesday to clarify the throw charge that arose from his involvement in the tackle on McKinon.
Conlon further added that there is no other option but to stand down McLean till establishment of the charge.
"In my view, both the NRL and the Melbourne club should be commended for this sensible and sensitive approach to the tragic situation with which they have been confronted." Conlon said.
He opined that "exceptional circumstances" was prevalent in this case because of the deferment of hearing and allowed Jordan to play in the upcoming match on Saturday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers