Asian Cup Opener: UAE Will Face Qatar
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 27, 2014 5:07 PM EST
In the opening match of Asian Cup 2015, United Arab Emirates will play against Qatar in the second match of Group-C at the Canberra Stadium on Jan 11, 2015. The same day, Iran will face Bahrain at the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium. The news was announced at the Sydney Opera House on Wednesday.
Presenters look at a screen displaying the groups after the official draw for the 2015 Asian Cup at the Sydney Opera House March 26, 2014. Hosts Australia were handed a tough draw for the 2015 Asian Cup on Wednesday when they were paired with twice former champions South Korea in the group stage
In light of this event, UAE coach Mahdi Ali said, "I did not wish to have three (Gulf Cup) nations in the same group to give more chances for them to qualify. A small competition reflecting the big one in Asia."
"We have already announced we want to be in the best four teams in Asia and I hope we achieve our goal. We wish to qualify for the semi-final. I think that the UAE have spent a lot of planning for this generation, I think we have a good generation who have played a lot of tournaments," Ali further added.
Meanwhile, the president of the UAEFA, Yousuf Yaqoob Al Serkal, showered his praise to the soccer team of UAE along with the administrative and technical staff involved in the game.
"They are well aware of the amount of responsibility they are shouldering towards their nation in the finals of the AFC Asian Cup Australia 2015 during the month of January ... The draw was balanced and the 16 teams which have advanced to the final are the best in the continent," he said.
In reaction to UAE's draw in Group-C, he said, "I didn't wish to see three Gulf teams playing in the same group due to the short period of time between the Gulf Cup in Riyadh in November and the AFC Asian Cup finals in January 2015. This is a negative factor, but we need to be realistic to handle the situation. We will try to fine tune the squad from physical and psychological aspects to face the challenge."
"I wish our boys all the best and the association would revamp all its sources to serve the national team and provide the best possible preparation plan for the players. We are also confident that Mahdi Ali knows what should be done under such circumstances," he concluded.
Australia will meet Kuwait in Melbourne at the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium on Jan 9. The Socceroos will then meet Oman on Jan 13 at Stadium Australia, followed by the match with Korea Republic in the final group game on Jan 17.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air