Sebastian Vettel, Missy Franklin, Marc Marquez, Rafael Nadal bags Laureus World Sports Awards
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 27, 2014 4:59 PM EST
In this year's Laureus World Sports Awards, Sebastian Vettel, Missy Franklin, Marc Marquez and Rafael Nadal were among the few to bag the coveted award.
U.S. swimmer Missy Franklin, nominee of the Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year, arrives for the Laureus Sports Awards in Kuala Lumpur March 26, 2014.
26-years old Sebastain Vettel, one of the greatest drivers of all time in Formula One racing was adorned with the "Sportsman of the Year" award. This is Vettel's fifth consecutive nomination.
"When I was a young kid and started competing, I fell in love with my sport and fell in love with racing and fell in love with the fact that if you do well, at the end of the race you receive a trophy.... It's still one of the main things that drives me today - to hold a trophy at the end of the race and to be on the podium...This one is not the biggest one I've ever received, but it's one of the most special ones I have now." Vettel said after the event.
"I think events like to tonight make me realise how many people actually care and follow you, your sport." added Vettel.
On the other end, 18 year old swimmer Missy Franklin was the youngest to bag "Sportswoman of the Year" award. The American bagged six gold-medals at the 2013 world championship, thus placing her ahead of previous winners.
"This is such a dream come true...I'm so happy I was able to come - it was during my Spring break so I'm not missing any school, which worked out perfect!" Franklin added after the award.
The "Breakthrough of the Year" award went to Marc Márquez. He became the youngest MotoGP world champion at just 20 years. Márquez was also youngest Grand Prix winner.
The "Team of the Year" award was given to Bayern Munich to bag their fifth win of UEFA Championship League, Bundesliga and German Cup.
The "Comeback of the Year" award went to Rafael Nadal. He returned to tennis after his seven month hiatus for his knee injury. He won French Open for the eighth time, resulting to be as one of the greatest clay court player in the history of tennis.
The "Action Sportsperson of the Year" was awarded to BMX master Jamie Bestwick of United Kingdom. Jamie holds the record to become the only athlete in X games history winning eight gold medals.
The "Spirit of Sport Award" goes to Afghanistan cricket team. A country, always ravaged with brutal war, Afghans entry in the cricket has definitely boosted the national pride to an extent.
The "Sportsman of the Year with a Disability" was bagged by Marie Bochet of France in Skiing. Marie, who suffers from agenesis of the left arm, became the first athlete to complete all five events at one Alpine Skiing World Championships, at the age of 19.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’