North Korean Men Reportedly Only Allowed To Have ‘Dear Leader Kim Jong-Un’ Haircut
By Anne Lu | March 27, 2014 4:52 PM EST
North Korean men are apparently sporting the same haircut as their leader Kim Jong-un. And that’s not just a coincidence. According to a report, the men are only allowed to have the “Dear Leader Kim Jong-un” haircut from now on.
North Korea leader Kim Jong Un presides over a meeting of the Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea in this undated photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang March 17, 2014. REUTERS/KCNA
Radio Free Asia reported that the fashion directive was announced early in March, and was met with a nationwide backlash, though, of course, any protest attempt was in vain.
“Our leader’s haircut is very particular, if you will. It doesn’t always go with everyone since everyone has different face and head shapes,” a source told the paper.
“It started from capital Pyongyang, and now spreading all across the country.”
Another insider compared said that the hairstyle was even shunned before, saying, “Until the mid-2000, we called it the ‘Chinese smuggler haircut.”
NK News, however, said that the report is unlikely true.
Frequent visitors to North Korea told the news site that there were no evidence of men wearing the “Dear Leader Kim Jong-un” haircut.
“I am pretty sure that this is just stupid, everyone had typical haircuts last week,” Andray Abraham, executive director of Singapore-based NGO Choson Exchange, told NK News.
Gareth Johnson, general manager of Young Pioneer Tours, also told the site, “We were in the country last week and saw no one with said haircut.”
This isn’t the first time state-sanctioned hairstyles were reportedly enforced in the reclusive nation. It has been long rumoured that salons around the country only follows hairstyles that were approved by the state.
According to past reports, salons and barbershops in Pyongyang had posters of a selection of hairstyles on their walls, which others thought were the only allowed styles in the country. However, the hairstyles were apparently only offered to give clients ideas of how they wanted their hair cut.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rihanna Twerks, Smokes And Shows Off Her Exotic Dance In Skin-Coloured Bikini On A Recent Holiday In Italy
- Beyonce Knowles Goes Topless For New Pictures, Shows Major Cleavage And Legs
- Miley Cyrus Poses Completely Naked In New Shocking Pictures Said That Social Media Is Harmful For Brain
- Adidas has Covered its New Trainers in Mud as Part of Distressed Fashion
- Arthur George By Rob Kardashian Now Available In Colette Paris
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers