Is Evasi0n7 iOS 7.1 Jailbreak in Limbo? Evad3rs Quiet on Next Jailbreak Release as Likely Downgrade Option via iTunes Surfaced
By Erik Pineda | March 27, 2014 3:44 PM EST
A few weeks after Apple has unleashed the official iOS 7.1 earlier this March, Team Evad3rs remain silent on when its counter to the software - that is the iPhone and iPad unlocker - will come out anytime soon, prompting speculations that the next Evasi0n7 jailbreak is now in limbo.
iOS 7 Jailbreak: iH8sn0w and MuscleNerd Confirm iOS 7.0.4 Safe for Future Jailbreaks
The famed dev group's disquieting state seems to support earlier assertions that Apple's issuance of iOS 7.2 could spell the end of the jailbreaking era. It used to be that the Evad3rs promptly fires back for every iOS 7 patch that the tech giant deploys.
But the last time the hackers made some ripples was when Evasi0n7 build 1.0.7 went live on the group's official site. That was some weeks ago, somehow suggesting that Apple has successfully silence the Evad3rs guns.
It's hardly surprising that the Evasi0n exploits, three were acknowledged by Apple, were finally stamped out by the iOS 7.1 release, according to Redmond Pie, but there is no denying that the Evad3rs - mainly composed of @pimskeks, @planetbeing, @pod2g and @MuscleNerd, are now working on a workaround that would pave the way for a new jailbreak release.
The same report also speculated that for all practical purposes, Team Evad3rs has decided to refocus its energy on an iOS 8 jailbreak as Apple's latest mobile platform is "now halfway through its life-cycle."
That could mean that the next interesting jailbreak episode will not premiere until the second half of 2014 as iOS 8 is not expected to debut until August or September this year, to be launched simultaneously with the iPhone 6.
Yet while waiting for the next iOS build and its distant jailbreak cousin from the Evad3rs, Ben Reid of Redmond Pie strongly suggests against touching iOS 7.1 if the plan is to keep an active membership in the jailbreak community.
Reid echoes the Dev's concerns that the latest Apple software will lockout jailbreak fans from the exciting Evasi0n-Cydia universe.
"If you want to preserve your device's jailbreaking potential, then you must avoid updating to it at all costs ... Do not download the new firmware version unless you're willing to give up any immediate hope of a jailbreak," Reid warned on his piece.
But for those who got too excited and decided to test drive iOS 7.1, there may be hopes of downgrade path en route to iOS 7.0.4, which of course will again make any iOS devices jailbreak-friendly anew.
With the help of Apple's in-house iTunes software, reverting back to 7.0.4 is allegedly possible, which according to Motoring Crunch is a process that works on the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S and the 5C. The setup and procedure was detailed here.
The same report, however, is honest enough to highlight the fact that the downgrade procedure failed to work basing on its own attempts without discounting the likelihood that others may have been more successful.
For now, an untethered iOS 7.1 jailbreak was successfully done on an iPhone 4, thanks to @Winocm and the snippets of which are covered in this report.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report