Instagram, Pinterest Online War, Who's Winning?
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 27, 2014 3:40 PM EST
Pinterest, the image curation Web site will soon open its doors for advertisers online. If the plans pursue, Pinterest will be battling head on with Instagram, another photo sharing social network that also share the same plan.
Social networking site Pinterest has raised $100 million from a group of investors led by Japanese online retailing giant Rakuten Inc in a deal that reportedly values the three-year-old U.S. company at $1.5 billion.
Pinterest was launched in March 2010 and is 6 months older than Instagram that is also launched in the same year. However, though both allowing users to post images online, the social networks target different niche.
Pinterest is more inclined for people who want to share their recipes, fitness regimes, and DIY projects. It allows users to create and share collections of their interest as categorized in "boards." Every visual bookmark is called "pin" that other users can "repin" to share. Currently, Pinterest have 50 million following and this huge number is the target of marketers who will soon be able to promote their products or services in the category feeds.
Pinterest ads to look like artworks.
According to an article by Time, the social media network want the advertisements to appear like magazine ads, unlike the typical online advertisements flooding the Internet nowadays. Joanne Bradford, Pinterest's ad chief in an interview with the Wall Street Journal shared that the Web site's goal is to build advertisements fashioned as "works of art."
With a different approach for the digital advertising scene, the plan is very promising for Pinterest with optimistic investors who calculated the company's value at $3.8 billion though the Web site is running free and generates no revenue to date. On the other hand, the company may be pitted with online photo-sharing and video-sharing service Instagram, which also plans to offer advertising services for online marketers.
Instagram to offer a good fight with 150M active users.
Since Instagram's Facebook acquisition the app increased around 170 million users, with 150 million who are active, it is definitely a larger platform that can offer a good fight with Pinterest especially that all of the users are using mobile.
Instagram is not as consumer-centric as the pinning network, but the advertiser's interest for Instagram ads relatively increases. The company already tested promoting paid posts for popular brands such as Levi's, Lexus, and Michael Kors.
The digital advertising battle for Pinterest and Instagram is yet to start. The question of which among them will get the bigger slice of the market share remains to be answered.
More Articles to Read:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1, Nokia Lumia Cyan Update: All Supported Devices In Various Regions As Of August
- Sony Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide For Xperia Z Devices As Of August 2014
- Sony Xperia M2 Aqua Buyer's Guide: Reasons Why Upgrade From Xperia V Or Xperia ZR
- 'No Man's Sky' For PlayStation 4: The Sun Will Burn Out But The Game Will Go On (Watch Trailer)
- Xbox One VS. PS4 At PAX Prime 2014:18 Games On Sale And A Lineup Of Xbox Games Revealed
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0