Fukushima Worker Depicts Life in Crippled Plant Through Manga Comic Book
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 27, 2014 3:22 PM EST
A worker who used to work for the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant will be releasing a manga comic book that depicts the lives of workers inside the radiation-laden facility.
In a nutshell, comic book artist Kazuto Tatsuta said life while inside the Fukushima nuclear power plant isn't "hell on earth," as what most global media and the world's populace had imagined. Rather, it's one filled with a careful routine to protect against radiation, such as putting on and taking off protective layers of varied articles of clothing like hazmat suits, gloves, boots and filtered masks.
A file photo of TEPCO's President Hirose and company officials wearing protective suits and masks inspecting an underground water storage pool at TEPCO's tsunami-crippled Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant in Fukushima prefecture - (Reuters)
Mr Tatsuta said working at the Fukushima nuclear power plant was just like working for any other construction site. Though physical danger cannot be perceived because radiation is not something seen by the naked eye, Mr Tatsuta was still forced to quit his job at the plant later because he had reached the annual legal exposure limit of 20 millisieverts. He worked there from June to December 2012.
His primary reason for applying work at the plant was because he was struggling to make his career as a manga artist work. Workers at the Fukushima plant earn $80 - $200 a day.
Yet, the 49-year-old artist said he could have never imagined that he would get the inspiration for his latest work, titled 1F: The Labor Diary Of Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant ("Ichi-Efu"), from there.
The comic's first episode, published in the weekly manga magazine Morning, had won for Mr Tatsuta a newcomer award.
Japan Times said few episodes will be released as a book in April. The newbie manga comic artist also revealed his publisher Kodansha Ltd. is planning on turning it into a series.
Updates can be accessed at this link https://www.facebook.com/ichiefu/posts/1415129962074416.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Social Media Conspiracy Fires Up Due To Ancient Engraving On Mars [Watch Video]
- Yuka, A Woolly Mammoth, Is Just 39,000 Years Young, And Wears A Reddish Coat
- Army Of Moonwalkers May Soon Be Ready As Michael Jackson Reportedly Cloned Himself Before Death
- Aussies Love Robots More Than The Japanese Do
- Nanoplug Invisible Hearing Aid Comes With High-Tech Features And Nano-Battery That Recharges Instantaneously
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy