Australia-Bound 147Kg Heroin Seized by Thailand Police
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 27, 2014 3:20 PM EST
REUTERS/US DEA/Handout via Reu
Powdered heroin is pictured in this undated handout photo courtesy of the United States Drug Enforcement Administration. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said his agency was stepping up efforts to stem sharp increases in deadly heroin overdoses, trafficking in the drug and abuse of prescription narcotics at the root of what he called an "urgent public health crisis." REUTERS/US DEA/Handout via Reuters
The seized drugs were hidden in frozen seafood containers. Its street value was pegged to be at least three billion baht (A$105 million). Police believed the heroin had been smuggled across Thailand's northern border. They claimed it originated in Myanmar.
A Thai and a Malaysian, identified as Kritsana Meenant and Yi Yong Ho respectively, have been arrested and will be charged with possession of illicit drugs for the purpose of resale, the National News of Thailand reported.
Thursday's drug haul, according to Thai deputy police chief Major General Somyot Pumpanmuang, far exceeded what local police had managed to intercept in 2012.
Pol General Pongsapat Pongcharoen, secretary-general of the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB), said Yi Yong Ho and Kritsana Meenant engaged the services of a marine-life export company in Tambon Bang Rin to repackage the narcotics along with the seafood products to send to Australia.
Two years ago, Thai police seized a total of 127.5 kilograms, according to the UN Office on Drugs and Crime. Mr Somyot said it was a tip from the Australian police that informed them of the illegal drugs.
During the raid, the heroin was found wrapped in 420 packets to be placed in 23 frozen seafood containers.
Heroin is a highly addictive drug derived from morphine, which is obtained from the opium poppy. It is a "downer" or depressant that affects the brain's pleasure systems and interferes with the brain's ability to perceive pain.
It can be mixed with water and injected with a needle. It can also be smoked or snorted up the nose. All of these ways of taking heroin send it to the brain very quickly. This makes it very addictive.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James