MLB Trade Rumors: Max Scherzer Asked For Eight-Year Deal
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 27, 2014 2:35 PM EST
Detroit Tigers hurler Max Scherzer have reportedly asked for eight-year deal, before his contract negotiation with the team hit a snag earlier this week, a source close to situation reported on Tuesday.
ESPN's Jim Bowden reported the reigning AL CY Young Award winner asked for a longer contract but the Tigers refused and offered instead a six-year deal worth $144 million.
"Tigers and Max Scherzer were also two years away on length of deal during negotiations. Scherzer looking for 8-year; Tigers offering 6," Bowden posted on his Twitter account.
According to Scherzer's agent Scott Boras, Sherzer offered the Tigers a long-term deal but the team rejected it and structured the contract. Still, the six-year, $144 million deal would have made Scherzer one of the highest paid pitchers in the big league per annual salary.
"The Detroit Tigers have made a substantial, long-term contract extension offer to Max Scherzer that would have placed him among the highest-paid pitchers in baseball, and the offer was rejected," the team said in a statement according to ESPN.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims