MLB Trade Rumors: Max Scherzer Asked For Eight-Year Deal
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 27, 2014 2:35 PM EST
Detroit Tigers hurler Max Scherzer have reportedly asked for eight-year deal, before his contract negotiation with the team hit a snag earlier this week, a source close to situation reported on Tuesday.
ESPN's Jim Bowden reported the reigning AL CY Young Award winner asked for a longer contract but the Tigers refused and offered instead a six-year deal worth $144 million.
"Tigers and Max Scherzer were also two years away on length of deal during negotiations. Scherzer looking for 8-year; Tigers offering 6," Bowden posted on his Twitter account.
According to Scherzer's agent Scott Boras, Sherzer offered the Tigers a long-term deal but the team rejected it and structured the contract. Still, the six-year, $144 million deal would have made Scherzer one of the highest paid pitchers in the big league per annual salary.
"The Detroit Tigers have made a substantial, long-term contract extension offer to Max Scherzer that would have placed him among the highest-paid pitchers in baseball, and the offer was rejected," the team said in a statement according to ESPN.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China