MLB Trade Rumors: Max Scherzer Asked For Eight-Year Deal
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 27, 2014 2:35 PM EST
Detroit Tigers hurler Max Scherzer have reportedly asked for eight-year deal, before his contract negotiation with the team hit a snag earlier this week, a source close to situation reported on Tuesday.
ESPN's Jim Bowden reported the reigning AL CY Young Award winner asked for a longer contract but the Tigers refused and offered instead a six-year deal worth $144 million.
"Tigers and Max Scherzer were also two years away on length of deal during negotiations. Scherzer looking for 8-year; Tigers offering 6," Bowden posted on his Twitter account.
According to Scherzer's agent Scott Boras, Sherzer offered the Tigers a long-term deal but the team rejected it and structured the contract. Still, the six-year, $144 million deal would have made Scherzer one of the highest paid pitchers in the big league per annual salary.
"The Detroit Tigers have made a substantial, long-term contract extension offer to Max Scherzer that would have placed him among the highest-paid pitchers in baseball, and the offer was rejected," the team said in a statement according to ESPN.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4