Lionel Messi Poised to Dethrone Cristiano Ronaldo as World’s Highest Paid Footballer
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 27, 2014 2:25 PM EST
Lionel Messi is poised to dethrone Cristiano Ronaldo to become the highest paid footballer in the world, at least it is what FC Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu thinks.
According to an AFP report via Yahoo Sport, Messi still has four more years with FC Barcelona, but the football club is already having talks with Messi's father and agent Jorge Horacio Messi over a contract that could surpass Ronaldo's $200 million deal with Real Madrid signed in September 2013.
Mr. Bartomeu revealed that Barca is neither negotiating with Messi nor his father due to the fact that the current season isn't over yet. All that is happening right now are merely dialogues with his father since he represents Messi, discussing how they look at Messi as a player.
"He (Messi) is our star and he has a contract until 2018 because we want him to participate in our future," said Mr. Bartomeu. "But there is the will within the club that he becomes the best paid player in the world," he added.
"He is the number one and, as we have said various times, he also deserves to be the best paid player in the world," said the Barca club president.
The Barca management is no doubt interested on extending its ties with Messi. Mr. Bartomeu said that Messi started playing for the club when he was a teenager, at 13 years old. Thirteen years later, Messi is still playing for the Catalan-based football club. He said that Messi has led the team to success for the past several years. They will do the best that they can to reach an amicable agreement with Messi so that he continues to play for the club.
"We are sure we will reach a deal with Messi," stated Mr Bartomeu.
"We are convinced because it is his wish, too. He said so just a few days ago," he further said.
"We will have Leo Messi at Barcelona for many years to come," Mr. Bartomeu concluded.
On March 10, Goal.com has officially released the list of the top 10 richest footballers in the world. Messi ranked second and Ronaldo snagged the top spot. Only time will tell if Messi would be able to dethrone Ronaldo and become not only the highest-paid but also the richest footballer in the world.
Read other sports articles:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6