Lorde’s Boyfriend James Lowe Opens Up About The Ups and Downs of Dating a Superstar
By Anne Lu | March 27, 2014 12:49 PM EST
Dating a superstar isn’t always full of sunshine, just ask James Lowe, Lorde’s boyfriend. The 25-year-old photographer has quietly supported the 17-year-old Grammy winner through her ascent to stardom, even though he has been subjected to cruel online taunts from Lorde’s critics. Now, Lowe has written about the downside of being the Kiwi international star’s boyfriend.
Singer Lorde accepts the International Female Solo Artist award at the BRIT Awards, celebrating British pop music, at the O2 Arena in London February 19, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville
In December, Lowe suffered insulting and racist jabs from One Direction and Justin Bieber fans, who mistakenly believed that Lorde called their idols ugly. There was no record that she ever did insult their physical appearances, but that didn’t stop the One Directioners and Beliebers from hurling ignorant tweets at Lowe.
But Lowe remained silent through it all. He has silently supported the “Royals” hitmaker, photographing her during concerts, while ignoring the taunts from her non-fans.
He is not so silent now. He has broken his silence in a rare and, as it seems, one-off blog post about dating a talented artist whose fame is just expected to rise further.
“Since originally sitting down to write this post, Ella has become a two time grammy winner. She has taken home a Brit too. Currently she is on the opposite side of the world on tour. As much as I miss her, I couldn’t be prouder of what she has achieved so far,” the photographer described his girlfriend.
He wrote that it wasn’t easy for him to sit down and pour out his heart in a post that he knew would be read by the public.
“I’ve written, deleted, re-written, and deleted this post at least five times over the past few months, wondering when would be an appropriate time to start writing again,” Lowe wrote, explaining that wanted to clear the air and “challenge the voices of ignorant writers who cower behind their anonymous comments.”
He described being with a rising superstar as different from before, but still the same, “My life is probably a lot different now, but it feels normal on the inside.”
Lowe continued, “Jared Leto said that fame doesn’t change you, it changes everyone around you. While I’m not the centre of attention here (and f***, the times I have, it’s never been fun), I do become aware of the people around me and their transparency. They fail to hide it. I’ve experienced being a target of the tabloids, finding moments I thought I was in safe hands splattered all over the Internet, being pushed and shoved, or watching others get pushed and shoved by paparazzi just to get what they think they’re entitled to.”
It’s not all about downsides, though. He admitted that there are also positive things that he gets from Lorde’s fame.
“While I’m dragging on about the negative aspects, they are only a small part of my world now. There is a bright, shining silver lining to this thing I’ve been exposed to. I’ve had the privilege to sit on an aircraft for 12 hours, cramped, exhausted but happy (like Louis CK once said, ‘YOU’RE FLYING, YOU’RE SITTING AN A CHAIR IN THE SKY!’). I’ve been able to tell tales of the many amazing people I’ve met along the way – from fellow photographers, to artists I’ve always admired and never thought I’d get to meet, let alone have a simple thing like coffee with...
“More importantly, I’ve found a little inspiration from new faces. People I look up to. People whose work I admire so much. For all this I have to thank the one I look up to the most. Who I admire the most. Who still fills the little voids I try to avoid,” he lovingly said of Lorde.
As Lowe mentioned, Lorde is currently away from home. She’s in the U.S. for her sold-out tour. They are planning to reunite in April, though, at the California music festival Coachella.
Check out the young photographer’s works on his Instagram account.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown