Lorde’s Boyfriend James Lowe Opens Up About The Ups and Downs of Dating a Superstar
By Anne Lu | March 27, 2014 12:49 PM EST
Dating a superstar isn’t always full of sunshine, just ask James Lowe, Lorde’s boyfriend. The 25-year-old photographer has quietly supported the 17-year-old Grammy winner through her ascent to stardom, even though he has been subjected to cruel online taunts from Lorde’s critics. Now, Lowe has written about the downside of being the Kiwi international star’s boyfriend.
Singer Lorde accepts the International Female Solo Artist award at the BRIT Awards, celebrating British pop music, at the O2 Arena in London February 19, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville
In December, Lowe suffered insulting and racist jabs from One Direction and Justin Bieber fans, who mistakenly believed that Lorde called their idols ugly. There was no record that she ever did insult their physical appearances, but that didn’t stop the One Directioners and Beliebers from hurling ignorant tweets at Lowe.
But Lowe remained silent through it all. He has silently supported the “Royals” hitmaker, photographing her during concerts, while ignoring the taunts from her non-fans.
He is not so silent now. He has broken his silence in a rare and, as it seems, one-off blog post about dating a talented artist whose fame is just expected to rise further.
“Since originally sitting down to write this post, Ella has become a two time grammy winner. She has taken home a Brit too. Currently she is on the opposite side of the world on tour. As much as I miss her, I couldn’t be prouder of what she has achieved so far,” the photographer described his girlfriend.
He wrote that it wasn’t easy for him to sit down and pour out his heart in a post that he knew would be read by the public.
“I’ve written, deleted, re-written, and deleted this post at least five times over the past few months, wondering when would be an appropriate time to start writing again,” Lowe wrote, explaining that wanted to clear the air and “challenge the voices of ignorant writers who cower behind their anonymous comments.”
He described being with a rising superstar as different from before, but still the same, “My life is probably a lot different now, but it feels normal on the inside.”
Lowe continued, “Jared Leto said that fame doesn’t change you, it changes everyone around you. While I’m not the centre of attention here (and f***, the times I have, it’s never been fun), I do become aware of the people around me and their transparency. They fail to hide it. I’ve experienced being a target of the tabloids, finding moments I thought I was in safe hands splattered all over the Internet, being pushed and shoved, or watching others get pushed and shoved by paparazzi just to get what they think they’re entitled to.”
It’s not all about downsides, though. He admitted that there are also positive things that he gets from Lorde’s fame.
“While I’m dragging on about the negative aspects, they are only a small part of my world now. There is a bright, shining silver lining to this thing I’ve been exposed to. I’ve had the privilege to sit on an aircraft for 12 hours, cramped, exhausted but happy (like Louis CK once said, ‘YOU’RE FLYING, YOU’RE SITTING AN A CHAIR IN THE SKY!’). I’ve been able to tell tales of the many amazing people I’ve met along the way – from fellow photographers, to artists I’ve always admired and never thought I’d get to meet, let alone have a simple thing like coffee with...
“More importantly, I’ve found a little inspiration from new faces. People I look up to. People whose work I admire so much. For all this I have to thank the one I look up to the most. Who I admire the most. Who still fills the little voids I try to avoid,” he lovingly said of Lorde.
As Lowe mentioned, Lorde is currently away from home. She’s in the U.S. for her sold-out tour. They are planning to reunite in April, though, at the California music festival Coachella.
Check out the young photographer’s works on his Instagram account.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS