Flash Flood Warning for Brisbane As Trough Could Dump 50-150mm of Rain Until Friday Morning
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 27, 2014 10:47 AM EST
The Brisbane City Council issued on Thursday morning a heavy rain alert which could result in flash flood hitting the city. A trough is forecast to drift south and dump 50 to 150 millimetres of rain from Thursday afternoon through early Friday morning.
A man unlocks the door of his flooded house as other residents watch after a rise in the water level of river Yamuna in New Delhi June 19, 2013.
The council said the risk of flash flooding is within the next 24 hours. It identified the potential areas to be hit by flooding as Wide Bay and Burnett, south-eastern Central Highlands and Coalfields, eastern Maranoa and Warrego and the Darling Downs and Granite Belt districts.
The warning is also extended to the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Ipswich, Maroochydore, Warwick, Toowoomba, Stanhorpe, Goondiwindi, Gympie, Bundager, Harvey Bay, Maryborough, Taroom, Kingaroy and St George.
According to the Bureau of Meteorology, a developing trough will travel slowly southward on Thursday. Ilona Cole from the bureau said, "We're expecting the intensity of the rainfall to develop throughout the day so the worst of it is expected in the afternoon and overnight tonight."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- Two Moons Hoax Surfaces Again: Debunked By Scientists, Twitter Explodes With Reactions
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine