Flash Flood Warning for Brisbane As Trough Could Dump 50-150mm of Rain Until Friday Morning
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 27, 2014 10:47 AM EST
The Brisbane City Council issued on Thursday morning a heavy rain alert which could result in flash flood hitting the city. A trough is forecast to drift south and dump 50 to 150 millimetres of rain from Thursday afternoon through early Friday morning.
A man unlocks the door of his flooded house as other residents watch after a rise in the water level of river Yamuna in New Delhi June 19, 2013.
The council said the risk of flash flooding is within the next 24 hours. It identified the potential areas to be hit by flooding as Wide Bay and Burnett, south-eastern Central Highlands and Coalfields, eastern Maranoa and Warrego and the Darling Downs and Granite Belt districts.
The warning is also extended to the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Ipswich, Maroochydore, Warwick, Toowoomba, Stanhorpe, Goondiwindi, Gympie, Bundager, Harvey Bay, Maryborough, Taroom, Kingaroy and St George.
According to the Bureau of Meteorology, a developing trough will travel slowly southward on Thursday. Ilona Cole from the bureau said, "We're expecting the intensity of the rainfall to develop throughout the day so the worst of it is expected in the afternoon and overnight tonight."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans