Flash Flood Warning for Brisbane As Trough Could Dump 50-150mm of Rain Until Friday Morning
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 27, 2014 10:47 AM EST
The Brisbane City Council issued on Thursday morning a heavy rain alert which could result in flash flood hitting the city. A trough is forecast to drift south and dump 50 to 150 millimetres of rain from Thursday afternoon through early Friday morning.
A man unlocks the door of his flooded house as other residents watch after a rise in the water level of river Yamuna in New Delhi June 19, 2013.
The council said the risk of flash flooding is within the next 24 hours. It identified the potential areas to be hit by flooding as Wide Bay and Burnett, south-eastern Central Highlands and Coalfields, eastern Maranoa and Warrego and the Darling Downs and Granite Belt districts.
The warning is also extended to the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Ipswich, Maroochydore, Warwick, Toowoomba, Stanhorpe, Goondiwindi, Gympie, Bundager, Harvey Bay, Maryborough, Taroom, Kingaroy and St George.
According to the Bureau of Meteorology, a developing trough will travel slowly southward on Thursday. Ilona Cole from the bureau said, "We're expecting the intensity of the rainfall to develop throughout the day so the worst of it is expected in the afternoon and overnight tonight."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Complex Alien Molecule May Offer Hints At Origin Of Life
- Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak: New York Scientists Unveil A Cloaking Device [Watch Video]
- Boy Bitten By A Snake During A Visit To The Botanical Garden In Melbourne
- Eerie Reddish Glow Of October 8 Total Lunar Eclipse – Astronomer Reminds Aussies To Enjoy Photo Opp
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate