Flash Flood Warning for Brisbane As Trough Could Dump 50-150mm of Rain Until Friday Morning
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 27, 2014 10:47 AM EST
The Brisbane City Council issued on Thursday morning a heavy rain alert which could result in flash flood hitting the city. A trough is forecast to drift south and dump 50 to 150 millimetres of rain from Thursday afternoon through early Friday morning.
A man unlocks the door of his flooded house as other residents watch after a rise in the water level of river Yamuna in New Delhi June 19, 2013.
The council said the risk of flash flooding is within the next 24 hours. It identified the potential areas to be hit by flooding as Wide Bay and Burnett, south-eastern Central Highlands and Coalfields, eastern Maranoa and Warrego and the Darling Downs and Granite Belt districts.
The warning is also extended to the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Ipswich, Maroochydore, Warwick, Toowoomba, Stanhorpe, Goondiwindi, Gympie, Bundager, Harvey Bay, Maryborough, Taroom, Kingaroy and St George.
According to the Bureau of Meteorology, a developing trough will travel slowly southward on Thursday. Ilona Cole from the bureau said, "We're expecting the intensity of the rainfall to develop throughout the day so the worst of it is expected in the afternoon and overnight tonight."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier