Pope Francis Accepts Resignation of German Bling Bishop
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 27, 2014 9:49 AM EST
Five months after Monsignor Franz-Peter Tebartz-van Elst offered on Oct 20, 2013 to resign from his post as bishop of the Limburg diocese in Germany, Pope Francis accepted on Wednesday his resignation.
The monsignor was popularly called Bling Bishop because of the extravagant cost of the construction of his new residence, estimated at $43 million. The staggering amount stunned Catholics and caused an uproar that led to his suspension and eventual removal from office.
In his place, the pontiff appointed Monsignor Manfred Grothe, the current auxiliary bishop of Paderborn, while the Bling Bishop would be given another job "at the opportune time."
Pope Francis was quoted as saying that he hopes Limburg Catholics would accept his decision with "docility and willingness to rediscover a climate of charity and reconciliation."
At the same time, the pope - known for his simplicity and austere living - called on the clergy to be models of sobriety since they belong to a church that ought to be "poor and is for the poor."
It's a lesson, however, that seems to be lost on the Bling Bishop who defended his uber high bill as covering 10 projects and additional costs caused by the historical protection of the buildings.
The residence reportedly includes a $20,000 bathtub and $620,000 artwork.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying