Pope Francis Accepts Resignation of German Bling Bishop
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 27, 2014 9:49 AM EST
Five months after Monsignor Franz-Peter Tebartz-van Elst offered on Oct 20, 2013 to resign from his post as bishop of the Limburg diocese in Germany, Pope Francis accepted on Wednesday his resignation.
The monsignor was popularly called Bling Bishop because of the extravagant cost of the construction of his new residence, estimated at $43 million. The staggering amount stunned Catholics and caused an uproar that led to his suspension and eventual removal from office.
In his place, the pontiff appointed Monsignor Manfred Grothe, the current auxiliary bishop of Paderborn, while the Bling Bishop would be given another job "at the opportune time."
Pope Francis was quoted as saying that he hopes Limburg Catholics would accept his decision with "docility and willingness to rediscover a climate of charity and reconciliation."
At the same time, the pope - known for his simplicity and austere living - called on the clergy to be models of sobriety since they belong to a church that ought to be "poor and is for the poor."
It's a lesson, however, that seems to be lost on the Bling Bishop who defended his uber high bill as covering 10 projects and additional costs caused by the historical protection of the buildings.
The residence reportedly includes a $20,000 bathtub and $620,000 artwork.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’