Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Veteran Pilot Believes Fire Hit Boeing 777 & Pilot Was Trying to Divert Jet to Langkawi for Emergency Landing
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 27, 2014 9:30 AM EST
Despite the disbelief by some relatives of Chinese passengers of the ill-fated Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 that their kin are now presumed dead, more evidence are being discovered supporting the theory of Inmarsat that the jet crashed into the southern Indian Ocean.
A man travelling on a stolen passport on the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 was a young Iranian who has no links to terrorists.
The latest is the spotting by the French Airbus satellite of 122 pieces of potential objects that possibly are the debris of the jet. However, Malaysian acting Transport Minister Hishammudin bin Hussein, who announced the new discovery, admitted there is no confirmation yet if the potential objects are from MH370, but it is considered a new lead to help direct the search operation.
Given these new discoveries, where the plane apparently crashed appears will be positively confirmed soon with sufficient evidence to convince the grieving relatives of the Chinese passengers.
However, what will remain a big question mark until the black box is recovered or a passenger or crew miraculously survived the mishap is what really happened.
A veteran pilot, Chris Goodfellow, shared with hellou.com an interesting theory that could dash speculations that there was terrorism or some other sinister plot involved linked to prior events such as MAH370 pilot Zaharie Ahmad Shah being a supporter of Malaysia Opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim and doing what he allegedly did as a protest.
Mr Goodfellow thinks a fire hit the plane and the crew tried to control it first by pulling all the main busses and restoring the circuits one by one, which explains the last priority for communicating the problem with authorities based on pilot training to aviate, navigate and communicate when in an emergency situation.
"What I think happened is that they were overcome by smoke and the plane just continued on the heading probably on George (autopilot) until either fuel exhaustion or fire destroyed the control surfaces and it crashed," Mr Goodfellow wrote.
Rather than view Mr Zaharie as a potential terrorist, Mr Goodfellow thinks he is a hero who struggled with an impossible situation to land the jet to Palau Langkawi airport, the closest airport.
He explained that experienced aviators like Mr Zaharie - who has 18,000 hours - have on their heads awareness of the nearest airport behind abeam or ahead of the jet they fly.
"When I saw that left turn with a direct heading I knew he was heading for an airport. Actually he was taking a direct airport to Palau Langkawi a 13,000 foot strip with an approach over water at night with no obstacles," Mr Goodfellow added.
Turning back to Kuala Lumpur was not an option because of 8,000-foot ridges on the path, plus the terrain toward Langkawi was friendlier and shorter distance.
Mr Goodfellow speaks from experience since he had handled a cabin fire and successfully landed an AirCanada DC9 jet in Columbus, Ohio in the 1980s
He concluded that Mr Zaharie was a smart pilot, unfortunately he and the 238 other crew and passengers ran out of time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Conspiracy To Withhold Full Cargo Manifest Still Alight
- Asia Has World’s Best & Worst Airports 2014 [Complete Lists]
- World’s Worst Tourist Destinations
- MH370 Oct 23 Update: Public Reports Debris Washed Up In Australian Coastline
- Gwyneth Paltrow To Attend Tasmania’s Tourism Event
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop