Giant Hammerhead Shark Weighing 700 Pounds Caught by Students off Florida Beach [VIDEO]
By Parismita Goswami | March 26, 2014 10:00 PM EST
A group of students while fishing on the beaches of Broward County hooked a huge 14-foot hammerhead shark that was dragged on to the shore.
You Tube Screenshot/Viktor Hlu
Giant Hammerhead Weighing 700 Pounds Caught by Students off Florida Beach [VIDEO]
Students from Florida Atlantic University (FAU) battled with the shark for about 90 minutes to bring it to the shores. The massive hammerhead shark approximately weighed 700 pounds.
"We knew we had a giant fish on, we battled it for about an hour and thirty minutes, and when we saw the massive dorsal fin, we knew we hooked a giant shark," WPTV quoted Hluben, a student at FAU and one among the Landshark Fishing group.
Florida coastline has a lot of hammerheads and some are even bigger than the one caught, explained Mark Perry of the Florida Oceanographic Society.
Hammerheads near the coast of Florida grow up to around 19 feet. However, hammerheads are not as aggressive as bull or tiger sharks, according to Perry.
Once the giant creature was reeled in to the shore, soon members quickly started clicking pictures of their big catch before they released the shark back in to the water.
"The only thing I was thinking in my head was pictures, video, quick and get it back in the water," said Hluben.
Five young men pulled its tail as well as head, and within minutes the creature splashed its tail into the water.
Though the line circle was still hooked in the shark, he described the circle as non-stainless steel and would rust out over time.
Florida Sea Grant College Program partnered with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and NOAA Fisheries agrees to the description and identifies the circle as safe during a catch-and-release fishing practice as non-steel material deteriorate over time.
Check Out for the Video Here
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown