Giant Hammerhead Shark Weighing 700 Pounds Caught by Students off Florida Beach [VIDEO]
By Parismita Goswami | March 26, 2014 10:00 PM EST
A group of students while fishing on the beaches of Broward County hooked a huge 14-foot hammerhead shark that was dragged on to the shore.
You Tube Screenshot/Viktor Hlu
Giant Hammerhead Weighing 700 Pounds Caught by Students off Florida Beach [VIDEO]
Students from Florida Atlantic University (FAU) battled with the shark for about 90 minutes to bring it to the shores. The massive hammerhead shark approximately weighed 700 pounds.
"We knew we had a giant fish on, we battled it for about an hour and thirty minutes, and when we saw the massive dorsal fin, we knew we hooked a giant shark," WPTV quoted Hluben, a student at FAU and one among the Landshark Fishing group.
Florida coastline has a lot of hammerheads and some are even bigger than the one caught, explained Mark Perry of the Florida Oceanographic Society.
Hammerheads near the coast of Florida grow up to around 19 feet. However, hammerheads are not as aggressive as bull or tiger sharks, according to Perry.
Once the giant creature was reeled in to the shore, soon members quickly started clicking pictures of their big catch before they released the shark back in to the water.
"The only thing I was thinking in my head was pictures, video, quick and get it back in the water," said Hluben.
Five young men pulled its tail as well as head, and within minutes the creature splashed its tail into the water.
Though the line circle was still hooked in the shark, he described the circle as non-stainless steel and would rust out over time.
Florida Sea Grant College Program partnered with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and NOAA Fisheries agrees to the description and identifies the circle as safe during a catch-and-release fishing practice as non-steel material deteriorate over time.
Check Out for the Video Here
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display