Giant Hammerhead Shark Weighing 700 Pounds Caught by Students off Florida Beach [VIDEO]
By Parismita Goswami | March 26, 2014 10:00 PM EST
A group of students while fishing on the beaches of Broward County hooked a huge 14-foot hammerhead shark that was dragged on to the shore.
You Tube Screenshot/Viktor Hlu
Giant Hammerhead Weighing 700 Pounds Caught by Students off Florida Beach [VIDEO]
Students from Florida Atlantic University (FAU) battled with the shark for about 90 minutes to bring it to the shores. The massive hammerhead shark approximately weighed 700 pounds.
"We knew we had a giant fish on, we battled it for about an hour and thirty minutes, and when we saw the massive dorsal fin, we knew we hooked a giant shark," WPTV quoted Hluben, a student at FAU and one among the Landshark Fishing group.
Florida coastline has a lot of hammerheads and some are even bigger than the one caught, explained Mark Perry of the Florida Oceanographic Society.
Hammerheads near the coast of Florida grow up to around 19 feet. However, hammerheads are not as aggressive as bull or tiger sharks, according to Perry.
Once the giant creature was reeled in to the shore, soon members quickly started clicking pictures of their big catch before they released the shark back in to the water.
"The only thing I was thinking in my head was pictures, video, quick and get it back in the water," said Hluben.
Five young men pulled its tail as well as head, and within minutes the creature splashed its tail into the water.
Though the line circle was still hooked in the shark, he described the circle as non-stainless steel and would rust out over time.
Florida Sea Grant College Program partnered with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and NOAA Fisheries agrees to the description and identifies the circle as safe during a catch-and-release fishing practice as non-steel material deteriorate over time.
Check Out for the Video Here
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers