Arsenal FC News: ‘Too Conservative’ Gunners Paid the Price, Says Wenger
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 26, 2014 6:19 PM EST
Arsenal surprisingly finished the game with a draw in spite of taking a 2-1 lead at the 75th minute, and Arsene Wenger thinks that his side became "too conservative" after scoring the goal that put them ahead.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger instructs his team during their English Premier League soccer match against Swansea City at the Emirates stadium in London
"We made the most difficult [part] by coming back to 2-1 and after that you could see that maybe we were too focused to keep the result and maybe too conservative because of confidence level had been affected certainly by Saturday," Wenger told arsenal.com.
"We just wanted to win the game without pushing anymore forward and a mistake happened unfortunately and it created a result we didn't want."
Nevertheless, the Frenchman believes that the Gunners gave their all on the pitch and commends them despite their shortcomings.
"The result is very disappointing but the spirit we put in and the effort we put in was great and we have to take it on the chin," he added.
"But overall I have to give credit to the fighting spirit and the desire we put into that game."
The Gunners mentor emphasised that his immediate goal is to get his team back on track in their upcoming clash against Manchester City on Saturday, while brushing aside title talks.
"I think at the moment it (title) is not the biggest worry we have," he disclosed.
"We have to be realistic a little bout and try to come back a bit in the next game. We have to look behind us and of course try to look in front of us."
"We have to do as well as we can and accept our position at the end of the season. But at the moment [our focus] is to recover from a high disappointment and recover for the next game. It is a huge game."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video