Arsenal FC News: ‘Too Conservative’ Gunners Paid the Price, Says Wenger
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 26, 2014 6:19 PM EST
Arsenal surprisingly finished the game with a draw in spite of taking a 2-1 lead at the 75th minute, and Arsene Wenger thinks that his side became "too conservative" after scoring the goal that put them ahead.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger instructs his team during their English Premier League soccer match against Swansea City at the Emirates stadium in London
"We made the most difficult [part] by coming back to 2-1 and after that you could see that maybe we were too focused to keep the result and maybe too conservative because of confidence level had been affected certainly by Saturday," Wenger told arsenal.com.
"We just wanted to win the game without pushing anymore forward and a mistake happened unfortunately and it created a result we didn't want."
Nevertheless, the Frenchman believes that the Gunners gave their all on the pitch and commends them despite their shortcomings.
"The result is very disappointing but the spirit we put in and the effort we put in was great and we have to take it on the chin," he added.
"But overall I have to give credit to the fighting spirit and the desire we put into that game."
The Gunners mentor emphasised that his immediate goal is to get his team back on track in their upcoming clash against Manchester City on Saturday, while brushing aside title talks.
"I think at the moment it (title) is not the biggest worry we have," he disclosed.
"We have to be realistic a little bout and try to come back a bit in the next game. We have to look behind us and of course try to look in front of us."
"We have to do as well as we can and accept our position at the end of the season. But at the moment [our focus] is to recover from a high disappointment and recover for the next game. It is a huge game."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions