Premier League Result: Arsenal 2-2 Swansea; Highlights, Scores, Updates (Video)
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 26, 2014 5:42 PM EST
The Premier League matches on Tuesday caused interesting developments in the upper portion of the table, with Arsenal dropping points and moving down to fourth, while Manchester City's win helped them climb to second.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger reacts after an Arsenal own goal during their English Premier League soccer match against Swansea City at the Emirates stadium in London
It was turning out to be a long day for the Gunners as Swansea forward Wilfried Bony was able to open up the score line in just 11 minutes after kick-off.
Arsene Wenger's men responded with a barrage of attacks, putting pressure on the guests by taking control of possession and keeping the ball in Swansea's half.
It was not until the 73rd minute when impact substitute Lukas Podolsi was found lurking at the centre of the box by Kieran Gibbs, who went past Angel Rangel on the left side to deliver a short pass finding Podolski's left foot that led to the equalising goal.
Just over a minute later, it was Podolski time to turn provider, after the ball was intercepted in midfield, storming down the flank, deploying a low cross finding targetman Olivier Giroud.
It appeared to have been a won ball-game for the Gunners after their second goal since they were still dominating possession.
However, lack of concentration led to a costly error in the at stoppage time, with Leon Britton able to squeeze himself onto the box after a give-and-go with Angel Rangel.
Per Mertesacker hit the ball with his foot after he went down for a tackle. It went towards approaching shot-stopper Wojciech Szczesny, who was not able to handle it, and accidentally bounced off Mathieu Flamini, rolling straight to the net for an own-goal.
Despite experiencing a very disappointing setback, Arsenal needs to move on fast as they will be facing in-form City on Saturday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]