‘Margie’ Supports Australia's ‘Angelina Jolie’ in a Rare Public Appearance
By Athena Yenko | March 26, 2014 5:21 PM EST
To evade cancer, then 25-year-old Krystal Barter decided to have both her breasts removed. Now at her 30s, she then decided to have her fallopian tubes and ovary removed.
With these, Ms Barter is being likened to Angelina Jolie whose same decision was met with admiration.
There was no apparent symptom telling that Ms Barter has ovarian cancer, but her decision was motivated by a Canadian research saying that surgery as such can reduce the risk of dying by 77 per cent.
Ms Barter's mother and grandmother had breast cancer. And when Ms barter was just 22, it was detected that she carries the BRCA1 gene.
Such radical measure may only be conducted to women who carry the BRCA gene mutation, following expert's recommendation and genetic counselling.
As Ms Barter puts it, "prevention was not the right choice for everyone. But it is easy for someone to talk in a clinical way if they haven't walked the emotional journey."
In 2009, in her hospital bed, Ms Barter found Pink Hope. Pink Hope aims to impart knowledge to those with hereditary and ovarian cancer.
"I was alone and isolated, there was nobody my age who was making choices.There was nobody I could talk to who had this gene, and there was nobody who could guide me," she told the Sydney Morning Herald.
She penned her journey in a memoir titled The Lucky One. Her memoir was launched on Tuesday by Prime Minister Tony Abbott's wife Margie Abbott.
Mrs Abbott, who demanded being called just 'Margie,' rarely makes public appearance and is admittedly choosy with organisation that she supports. Pink Hope is just one of the few charities she graced with her presence.
"Pink Hope is something I'm very passionate about. Krystal's charity is one about giving women a voice. And basically giving a voice to organisations and supporting families under pressure," she said.
And as for Ms Barter, 'Margie' said that she is a young woman on a mission and is admiringly thriving.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MRI Footage Shows What Sex And Other Activities Looks Like From The Inside[Watch Video]
- Joe Manganiello Fitness Secret: Low Carb Paleo Diet and CrossFit Workout
- Demi Lovato Battled Bulimia and Negative Body Image: Turns into Role Model For Many; Her Diet and Fitness Routine
- Ebola Response Team Killed In Cold Blood By Angry Guinea Locales
- Beyonce Reveals Snaps Of Naked Baby Bump While She Was Expecting Blue Ivy; How She Lost Her Pregnancy Weight [Watch Video]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?