‘Margie’ Supports Australia's ‘Angelina Jolie’ in a Rare Public Appearance
By Athena Yenko | March 26, 2014 5:21 PM EST
To evade cancer, then 25-year-old Krystal Barter decided to have both her breasts removed. Now at her 30s, she then decided to have her fallopian tubes and ovary removed.
With these, Ms Barter is being likened to Angelina Jolie whose same decision was met with admiration.
There was no apparent symptom telling that Ms Barter has ovarian cancer, but her decision was motivated by a Canadian research saying that surgery as such can reduce the risk of dying by 77 per cent.
Ms Barter's mother and grandmother had breast cancer. And when Ms barter was just 22, it was detected that she carries the BRCA1 gene.
Such radical measure may only be conducted to women who carry the BRCA gene mutation, following expert's recommendation and genetic counselling.
As Ms Barter puts it, "prevention was not the right choice for everyone. But it is easy for someone to talk in a clinical way if they haven't walked the emotional journey."
In 2009, in her hospital bed, Ms Barter found Pink Hope. Pink Hope aims to impart knowledge to those with hereditary and ovarian cancer.
"I was alone and isolated, there was nobody my age who was making choices.There was nobody I could talk to who had this gene, and there was nobody who could guide me," she told the Sydney Morning Herald.
She penned her journey in a memoir titled The Lucky One. Her memoir was launched on Tuesday by Prime Minister Tony Abbott's wife Margie Abbott.
Mrs Abbott, who demanded being called just 'Margie,' rarely makes public appearance and is admittedly choosy with organisation that she supports. Pink Hope is just one of the few charities she graced with her presence.
"Pink Hope is something I'm very passionate about. Krystal's charity is one about giving women a voice. And basically giving a voice to organisations and supporting families under pressure," she said.
And as for Ms Barter, 'Margie' said that she is a young woman on a mission and is admiringly thriving.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Vaccine Not Coming Soon Enough; Australia and New Zealand Prepare for Possible Outbreak
- Gluten-Free Diets? Research Says it Contains No Nutrition!
- Top 10 Deadliest Viruses To Ever Exist
- 5 Snacks Only Australians may Have Thought Of
- Actress Miranda Kerr Loses 40 Pounds After Pregnancy With A Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Diet and Yoga
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff