‘Margie’ Supports Australia's ‘Angelina Jolie’ in a Rare Public Appearance
By Athena Yenko | March 26, 2014 5:21 PM EST
To evade cancer, then 25-year-old Krystal Barter decided to have both her breasts removed. Now at her 30s, she then decided to have her fallopian tubes and ovary removed.
With these, Ms Barter is being likened to Angelina Jolie whose same decision was met with admiration.
There was no apparent symptom telling that Ms Barter has ovarian cancer, but her decision was motivated by a Canadian research saying that surgery as such can reduce the risk of dying by 77 per cent.
Ms Barter's mother and grandmother had breast cancer. And when Ms barter was just 22, it was detected that she carries the BRCA1 gene.
Such radical measure may only be conducted to women who carry the BRCA gene mutation, following expert's recommendation and genetic counselling.
As Ms Barter puts it, "prevention was not the right choice for everyone. But it is easy for someone to talk in a clinical way if they haven't walked the emotional journey."
In 2009, in her hospital bed, Ms Barter found Pink Hope. Pink Hope aims to impart knowledge to those with hereditary and ovarian cancer.
"I was alone and isolated, there was nobody my age who was making choices.There was nobody I could talk to who had this gene, and there was nobody who could guide me," she told the Sydney Morning Herald.
She penned her journey in a memoir titled The Lucky One. Her memoir was launched on Tuesday by Prime Minister Tony Abbott's wife Margie Abbott.
Mrs Abbott, who demanded being called just 'Margie,' rarely makes public appearance and is admittedly choosy with organisation that she supports. Pink Hope is just one of the few charities she graced with her presence.
"Pink Hope is something I'm very passionate about. Krystal's charity is one about giving women a voice. And basically giving a voice to organisations and supporting families under pressure," she said.
And as for Ms Barter, 'Margie' said that she is a young woman on a mission and is admiringly thriving.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories