‘Captain America’ Star Chris Evans Announces Retirement From Acting
By Anne Lu | March 26, 2014 4:40 PM EST
Chris Evans is leaving acting behind. The “Captain America” star revealed that he doesn’t want to pursue acting anymore, but will continue to appear on Marvel films, where he is still under contract.
Actor Chris Evans arrives at the UK premiere of \"Captain America: The Winter Soldier\" at Shepherds Bush in London, March 20, 2014. REUTERS/Paul Hackett
The 32-year-old actor first hinted on his early retirement earlier in March after telling Glamour magazine that he planned to take “a little break from acting” when he completed his obligations with Marvel Studios.
However, in a new interview with Variety, it appears that the “little break” that he has been planning to take would be a big one.
Although he isn’t going to leave the entertainment industry behind completely, he is shunning roles that require him to be in front of the camera.
“If I’m acting at all, it’s going to be under Marvel contract, or I’m going to be directing,” he said. “I can’t see myself pursuing acting strictly outside of what I’m contractually obligated to do.”
And he is still committed under the film studio. He has a six-movie deal with Marvel when he joined in 2010 as Steve Rogers, or also known as the patriotic superhero Captain America.
He has completed three films so far – “Captain America” in 2011, “The Avengers” in 2012, and the present “Captain America: The Winter Soldier.” He is now set to shoot “Avengers 2” in London, alongside Robert Downey Jr (Iron Man), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), and Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye).
But in between his superhero duties, he has found time to direct his first film, “1:30 Train,” which he shot over the course of just 19 days in New York.
“I’ve known for a while I wanted to direct,” Evans continued. “But (time) never really opens up. There’s another movie to do, there’s another acting job. It just got to a point where I was like, you know what – I have to do this.”
While other actors see playing a superhero in films a curse because it might get them typecasted, Evans was actually grateful for the job.
“Without these movies, I wouldn’t be directing. They gave me enough overseas recognition to greenlight a movie. And if I’m speaking extremely candid, it’s going to continue to do that for as long as the Marvel contract runs.”
And even if his directorial debut wouldn’t be successful as hoped, Evans feels confident that he would get another directing job.
“That’s not a luxury that most people are afforded,” he said.
Evans wasn’t always Captain America. He was the Human Torch first. In 2007, he played another Marvel comic superhero, Johnny Storm, the flaming member of the quartet Fantastic Four.
“Captain America: The Winter Soldier” is currently playing in theatres worldwide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS