Vijay-Mohanlal's 'Jilla' Completes 75 Days; Film to be Remade in Telugu Soon
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 26, 2014 4:12 PM EST
Vijay-Mohanlal's pongal release "Jilla" has successfully completed its 75-day theatrical run. [Also Read: Vijay-Murugadoss's Film Title Revealed]
Vijay-Mohanlal in "Jilla" (Facebook)
The film, which released on 10 January, is still running in a few theatres in Chennai.
Directed by RT Neason, "Jilla" is a commercial entertainer that revolves around father-son relationship.
The film generated a lot of buzz even before its release thanks to the presence of two of biggest film stars in south cinema.
"Jilla" took a fantastic opening on the first day of its release, despite facing strong competition from Ajith's "Veeram." The film earned more than ₹7 crore on the first day at the Tamil Nadu box office and also performed exceptionally well in Kerala by raking in ₹2.62 crore, which was the highest single day gross for any film in the state.
The Vijay-Mohanlal starrer did good business not just in India, but also in overseas markets. The film has turned out to be a profitable venture for its producers Super Good Films.
Although there have been several releases in the past couple of months, "Jilla" has managed to hold on to some screens. The action entertainer successfully completed 75-day run on 25 March.
The film is all set to be remade in Telugu with Neason directing it. R.B.Choudhary of Super Good Films will be producing the film in Telugu as well, but the details about the film's cast and crew are yet to be finalised.
Buzz is that the director wants Jr NTR and Balakrishna to play the lead roles in the Telugu version. However, the director is yet to approach either of the actors, reported Indiaglitz.
Earlier, it was speculated that Chiranjeevi and Ram Charan might reprise Mohanlal and Vijay's roles in "Jilla" remake. It is being said that Chiranjeevi was approached to play one of the leads in the Telugu version, but the actor rejected the proposal owing to various factors including the upcoming elections in Andhra Pradesh.
Chiranjeevi's comeback film will be his 150th project. It is being said that the actor will not accept any remake for his 150th film. "It is true that two producers approached Chiranjeevigaru for Jilla remake. But this is not the right time. Besides, his 150th movie cannot be a remake. If at all his 150th movie happens, it will be completely based on local subject reflecting the sentiments of Andhraites. He will not accept any remake project," a source close to the actor told Bangalore Mirror.
The Telugu version of "Jilla" is expected to go on floors soon.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’