Bundesliga Results: Unstoppable Bayern Munich Clinch 24th Title in Record-Breaking Fashion
By Deepak Vikraman | March 26, 2014 3:39 PM EST
When Pep Guardiola took over from Jupp Heynckes, with Bayern Munich, undoubtedly at that time, the best club team in Europe, there was a feeling of just how the Spaniard would improve this team after a stunning treble-winning season.
Well, the answer, at least in terms of the Bundesliga, came on Tuesday night, with Bayern, unbeaten in the league all season, sealing their 24th title with a record-breaking seven matches to spare.
Bayern Munich needed a win on Tuesday night against Hertha Berlin to seal the Bundesliga crown, and Guardiola's men, expectedly did their part pretty well, winning 3-1, and with it extending their lead at the top to an unbelievable 25 points after second-placed Borussia Dortmund could only manage a goalless draw with their rivals Schalke, who are third, in the Ruhr Derby at the Westfalenstadion.
"I'm pleased we've done it," Guardiola said after the momentous win on Tuesday night. "Another trophy for this club is important. Congratulations to everyone on this massive season.
"We'll eat and celebrate together tonight. When you have a little time to spare you ought to enjoy it.
"Many, many thanks to the club for the opportunity to be here and coach these outstanding players. We played really, really well for 30 minutes, we were dynamic but kept it simple and used the whole of the pitch. We controlled the game but forgot to attack at times."
Those quotes on the game was typical Guardiola, who breathes, eats and sleeps football. Bayern were not at their best in Berlin, but with the ridiculous class that this side have, they very rarely need to be in the Bundesliga, where they are unbeaten in the last 52 games, 46 of them garnering maximum points.
Toni Kroos opened the scoring for Bayern, with Mario Gotze making it 2-0 in the 14th minute, eight minutes after the first goal. Adrian Ramos pulled one back in the 66th minute, as Hertha briefly threatened to spoil the party, but Bayern were safe and on their way to the title yet again courtesy a goal from their talisman Franck Ribery.
"It's still a bit cold outdoors in March, but everyone can see we're on fire and determined to win every match," Bayern's impregnable goalkeeper Manuel Neuer told the official website. "We're happy and proud, because it's very special to be crowned champions at such an early stage.
"We've carried the momentum from winning the treble last summer with us since then. Nobody honestly thought it would just keep going so seamlessly."
Results: Hertha Berlin 1-3 Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund 0-0 Schalke, Eintracht Braunschweig 3-1 Mainz, Werder Bremen 1-3 Wolfsburg.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around