Bundesliga Results: Unstoppable Bayern Munich Clinch 24th Title in Record-Breaking Fashion
By Deepak Vikraman | March 26, 2014 3:39 PM EST
When Pep Guardiola took over from Jupp Heynckes, with Bayern Munich, undoubtedly at that time, the best club team in Europe, there was a feeling of just how the Spaniard would improve this team after a stunning treble-winning season.
Well, the answer, at least in terms of the Bundesliga, came on Tuesday night, with Bayern, unbeaten in the league all season, sealing their 24th title with a record-breaking seven matches to spare.
Bayern Munich needed a win on Tuesday night against Hertha Berlin to seal the Bundesliga crown, and Guardiola's men, expectedly did their part pretty well, winning 3-1, and with it extending their lead at the top to an unbelievable 25 points after second-placed Borussia Dortmund could only manage a goalless draw with their rivals Schalke, who are third, in the Ruhr Derby at the Westfalenstadion.
"I'm pleased we've done it," Guardiola said after the momentous win on Tuesday night. "Another trophy for this club is important. Congratulations to everyone on this massive season.
"We'll eat and celebrate together tonight. When you have a little time to spare you ought to enjoy it.
"Many, many thanks to the club for the opportunity to be here and coach these outstanding players. We played really, really well for 30 minutes, we were dynamic but kept it simple and used the whole of the pitch. We controlled the game but forgot to attack at times."
Those quotes on the game was typical Guardiola, who breathes, eats and sleeps football. Bayern were not at their best in Berlin, but with the ridiculous class that this side have, they very rarely need to be in the Bundesliga, where they are unbeaten in the last 52 games, 46 of them garnering maximum points.
Toni Kroos opened the scoring for Bayern, with Mario Gotze making it 2-0 in the 14th minute, eight minutes after the first goal. Adrian Ramos pulled one back in the 66th minute, as Hertha briefly threatened to spoil the party, but Bayern were safe and on their way to the title yet again courtesy a goal from their talisman Franck Ribery.
"It's still a bit cold outdoors in March, but everyone can see we're on fire and determined to win every match," Bayern's impregnable goalkeeper Manuel Neuer told the official website. "We're happy and proud, because it's very special to be crowned champions at such an early stage.
"We've carried the momentum from winning the treble last summer with us since then. Nobody honestly thought it would just keep going so seamlessly."
Results: Hertha Berlin 1-3 Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund 0-0 Schalke, Eintracht Braunschweig 3-1 Mainz, Werder Bremen 1-3 Wolfsburg.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet