Jessica Mauboy To Represent Australia At The Eurovision Song Contest As Guest Performer
By Anne Lu | March 26, 2014 3:34 PM EST
Australia isn’t part of Europe, but that doesn’t stop it from getting a central role at the Eurovision Song Contest 2014. No, we’re not competing, but local talent Jessica Mauboy will be showing the others how it’s done.
The Darwin star has been invited to perform at the 59th Eurovision Song Contest in Copenhagen, making her the first non-European Union solo artist to perform on the show.
She will be performing an original song that she co-wrote with Potbelleez hitmaker Ilan Kidron during the contest’s second semi-final night.
“I am super excited and honoured to have been invited to perform as a guest at this year’s Eurovision Song Contest,” the 24-year-old Mauboy said in a statement.
“Like so many Aussies, I have loved watching the show from my lounge and now be a part of one of the world’s biggest music shows is just incredible. I can’t wait to bring a little bit of Australia to the contest.”
Australia, which has been enthusiastically watching the contest for decades, was finally given leave to take part in the second semi-final of the show. It’s not in a competing capacity, but it will be in a pivotal role. It will produce the entertainment just before the results of the second semi-final is announced on May 8.
“We are very excited to have secured an opportunity for Australia to be represented at Eurovision and so proud that Jessica Mauboy will be representing our country to Eurovision’s world audience,” SBS managing director Michael Ebeid said.
“As a young indigenous artist who has achieved global success, Jessica’s performance will be a fantastic coup for Eurovision’s worldwide audience… We are honoured that the European Broadcasting Union has supported us to achieve this ambition.”
SBS is the Australian broadcaster of the Eurovision Song Contest.
The grand final of the show will air on May 11.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy