Jessica Mauboy To Represent Australia At The Eurovision Song Contest As Guest Performer
By Anne Lu | March 26, 2014 3:34 PM EST
Australia isn’t part of Europe, but that doesn’t stop it from getting a central role at the Eurovision Song Contest 2014. No, we’re not competing, but local talent Jessica Mauboy will be showing the others how it’s done.
The Darwin star has been invited to perform at the 59th Eurovision Song Contest in Copenhagen, making her the first non-European Union solo artist to perform on the show.
She will be performing an original song that she co-wrote with Potbelleez hitmaker Ilan Kidron during the contest’s second semi-final night.
“I am super excited and honoured to have been invited to perform as a guest at this year’s Eurovision Song Contest,” the 24-year-old Mauboy said in a statement.
“Like so many Aussies, I have loved watching the show from my lounge and now be a part of one of the world’s biggest music shows is just incredible. I can’t wait to bring a little bit of Australia to the contest.”
Australia, which has been enthusiastically watching the contest for decades, was finally given leave to take part in the second semi-final of the show. It’s not in a competing capacity, but it will be in a pivotal role. It will produce the entertainment just before the results of the second semi-final is announced on May 8.
“We are very excited to have secured an opportunity for Australia to be represented at Eurovision and so proud that Jessica Mauboy will be representing our country to Eurovision’s world audience,” SBS managing director Michael Ebeid said.
“As a young indigenous artist who has achieved global success, Jessica’s performance will be a fantastic coup for Eurovision’s worldwide audience… We are honoured that the European Broadcasting Union has supported us to achieve this ambition.”
SBS is the Australian broadcaster of the Eurovision Song Contest.
The grand final of the show will air on May 11.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Nymeria Sand and Arya's Nymeria As Possible Ferocious Forces in New HBO Chapter
- The Bachelor 2014 Update: Nikki Ferrell Sparks Split News Amid Juan Pablo’s Cheating Reports; Find out the Truth
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People