Jessica Mauboy To Represent Australia At The Eurovision Song Contest As Guest Performer
By Anne Lu | March 26, 2014 3:34 PM EST
Australia isn’t part of Europe, but that doesn’t stop it from getting a central role at the Eurovision Song Contest 2014. No, we’re not competing, but local talent Jessica Mauboy will be showing the others how it’s done.
The Darwin star has been invited to perform at the 59th Eurovision Song Contest in Copenhagen, making her the first non-European Union solo artist to perform on the show.
She will be performing an original song that she co-wrote with Potbelleez hitmaker Ilan Kidron during the contest’s second semi-final night.
“I am super excited and honoured to have been invited to perform as a guest at this year’s Eurovision Song Contest,” the 24-year-old Mauboy said in a statement.
“Like so many Aussies, I have loved watching the show from my lounge and now be a part of one of the world’s biggest music shows is just incredible. I can’t wait to bring a little bit of Australia to the contest.”
Australia, which has been enthusiastically watching the contest for decades, was finally given leave to take part in the second semi-final of the show. It’s not in a competing capacity, but it will be in a pivotal role. It will produce the entertainment just before the results of the second semi-final is announced on May 8.
“We are very excited to have secured an opportunity for Australia to be represented at Eurovision and so proud that Jessica Mauboy will be representing our country to Eurovision’s world audience,” SBS managing director Michael Ebeid said.
“As a young indigenous artist who has achieved global success, Jessica’s performance will be a fantastic coup for Eurovision’s worldwide audience… We are honoured that the European Broadcasting Union has supported us to achieve this ambition.”
SBS is the Australian broadcaster of the Eurovision Song Contest.
The grand final of the show will air on May 11.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions