Jessica Mauboy To Represent Australia At The Eurovision Song Contest As Guest Performer
By Anne Lu | March 26, 2014 3:34 PM EST
Australia isn’t part of Europe, but that doesn’t stop it from getting a central role at the Eurovision Song Contest 2014. No, we’re not competing, but local talent Jessica Mauboy will be showing the others how it’s done.
The Darwin star has been invited to perform at the 59th Eurovision Song Contest in Copenhagen, making her the first non-European Union solo artist to perform on the show.
She will be performing an original song that she co-wrote with Potbelleez hitmaker Ilan Kidron during the contest’s second semi-final night.
“I am super excited and honoured to have been invited to perform as a guest at this year’s Eurovision Song Contest,” the 24-year-old Mauboy said in a statement.
“Like so many Aussies, I have loved watching the show from my lounge and now be a part of one of the world’s biggest music shows is just incredible. I can’t wait to bring a little bit of Australia to the contest.”
Australia, which has been enthusiastically watching the contest for decades, was finally given leave to take part in the second semi-final of the show. It’s not in a competing capacity, but it will be in a pivotal role. It will produce the entertainment just before the results of the second semi-final is announced on May 8.
“We are very excited to have secured an opportunity for Australia to be represented at Eurovision and so proud that Jessica Mauboy will be representing our country to Eurovision’s world audience,” SBS managing director Michael Ebeid said.
“As a young indigenous artist who has achieved global success, Jessica’s performance will be a fantastic coup for Eurovision’s worldwide audience… We are honoured that the European Broadcasting Union has supported us to achieve this ambition.”
SBS is the Australian broadcaster of the Eurovision Song Contest.
The grand final of the show will air on May 11.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS