Sensex, Nifty Hit Record Highs; Banks Gain
March 26, 2014 3:08 PM EST
The Sensex and Nifty rose to a record high in early trading on Wednesday as blue chips such as ICICI Bank (ICBK.NS) extended recent gains bolstered by buying from foreign institutional investors, while strength in other Asian markets also helped.
The Nifty rose as much as 0.50 percent to an all-time high of 6,622.80 while the Sensex also rose 0.5 percent to a lifetime high of 22,162.52 to surpass their previous record highs hit just on Tuesday.
Overseas investors have helped underpin gains, with net purchases in shares reaching $2.53 billion so far this month, according to regulatory data.
Asian shares raced to two-week highs on Wednesday, with investor confidence getting a much needed boost from upbeat U.S. data and lingering hopes China may take steps to stimulate its sagging economy.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports