Washington Mudslide Update: Family Dog Survived and Gets Rescued
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 26, 2014 2:58 PM EST
With the death toll rising to 14 after a tragic mudslide in the state of Washington in the U.S. that according to reports had swept away 30 homes, it is hard to believe that a rather inconspicuous dog will survive. Yet, as the search continues, a dog is actually rescued in the rubble.
REUTERS/Ted S. Warren/Pool
Workers look for victims in the mudslide near Oso, Washington March 25, 2014. Rescue workers searched through mucky rubble on Tuesday with hopes dwindling of finding any more survivors from among scores of people still missing from a devastating weekend mudslide in Washington state that killed at least 14.
In a video shared by ABC News on Instagram, the search party was shown finding a dog in the location where the mudslide recently occurred. Reports say that authorities will remain hopeful in rescuing more survivors. Watch the Instagram video below.
The devastation that happened in Oso, Snohomish County on Saturday, March 22, was huge that according to reports, in order to cover bigger grounds and find more survivors, helicopters were used to search the area.
[UPDATE: The number of missing persons has dropped to 90 while the death toll rises to 17. The homes or trailers that were washed out made a total of 49 homes. Death toll is expected to rise as more rescuers sift through debris and mud.]
According to Reuters, the mudslide in Washington state is considered to be one of the deadliest U.S. landslides since 2005 when 10 people had died in La Conchita, Calif.
Various news clips showed rescuers going through the wreckage, equipped with chainsaws as they climbed on what was left of the houses and of the community that once populated the area.
176 people are reportedly missing and the days are swiftly passing by. Aside from the huge wreckage, reports also look at the weather as one of the factors that is affecting the rescue teams. Local fire chief Travis Hots told reporters that the operational plan will be challenging since the weather has changed.
Eight were already reported as injured. Hots also said that the fatality count is most likely going to rise as the research continues. Early Tuesday, March 25, the reports say that rescuers already failed to find any more people, which shifted the rescue mission to "recovery mission."
Robin Youngblood, one of the eight people who were injured during the mudslide, shared his experience to ABC News. Youngblood described being in the mudslide like he was being whirled in a "washing machine of mud and trees."
"We were tumbled inside and had mud in our eyes and nose and mouth," Youngblood said. "I am so grateful I am alive."
"I believe in miracles and I believe people can survive these events," Snohomish County's director of emergency management John Pennington, however, sounded positive as he shared his thoughts to reporters.
What Pennington said reflects what happened to the family dog that was rescued. The dog survived so it is only seemingly fit to believe that more people could survive the catastrophe, as well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen