Washington Mudslide Update: Family Dog Survived and Gets Rescued
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 26, 2014 2:58 PM EST
With the death toll rising to 14 after a tragic mudslide in the state of Washington in the U.S. that according to reports had swept away 30 homes, it is hard to believe that a rather inconspicuous dog will survive. Yet, as the search continues, a dog is actually rescued in the rubble.
REUTERS/Ted S. Warren/Pool
Workers look for victims in the mudslide near Oso, Washington March 25, 2014. Rescue workers searched through mucky rubble on Tuesday with hopes dwindling of finding any more survivors from among scores of people still missing from a devastating weekend mudslide in Washington state that killed at least 14.
In a video shared by ABC News on Instagram, the search party was shown finding a dog in the location where the mudslide recently occurred. Reports say that authorities will remain hopeful in rescuing more survivors. Watch the Instagram video below.
The devastation that happened in Oso, Snohomish County on Saturday, March 22, was huge that according to reports, in order to cover bigger grounds and find more survivors, helicopters were used to search the area.
[UPDATE: The number of missing persons has dropped to 90 while the death toll rises to 17. The homes or trailers that were washed out made a total of 49 homes. Death toll is expected to rise as more rescuers sift through debris and mud.]
According to Reuters, the mudslide in Washington state is considered to be one of the deadliest U.S. landslides since 2005 when 10 people had died in La Conchita, Calif.
Various news clips showed rescuers going through the wreckage, equipped with chainsaws as they climbed on what was left of the houses and of the community that once populated the area.
176 people are reportedly missing and the days are swiftly passing by. Aside from the huge wreckage, reports also look at the weather as one of the factors that is affecting the rescue teams. Local fire chief Travis Hots told reporters that the operational plan will be challenging since the weather has changed.
Eight were already reported as injured. Hots also said that the fatality count is most likely going to rise as the research continues. Early Tuesday, March 25, the reports say that rescuers already failed to find any more people, which shifted the rescue mission to "recovery mission."
Robin Youngblood, one of the eight people who were injured during the mudslide, shared his experience to ABC News. Youngblood described being in the mudslide like he was being whirled in a "washing machine of mud and trees."
"We were tumbled inside and had mud in our eyes and nose and mouth," Youngblood said. "I am so grateful I am alive."
"I believe in miracles and I believe people can survive these events," Snohomish County's director of emergency management John Pennington, however, sounded positive as he shared his thoughts to reporters.
What Pennington said reflects what happened to the family dog that was rescued. The dog survived so it is only seemingly fit to believe that more people could survive the catastrophe, as well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date