‘Supernatural’ Spoilers: Misha Collins Talks Directing Pranksters Jared Padalecki & Jensen Ackles, Reveals Castiel’s Stolen Grace And Uncertain Future [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | March 26, 2014 12:48 PM EST
“Supernatural” star Misha Collins debuted as a director in the hit U.S. show, but he quipped that he received no respect as such from co-stars Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles. The 39-year-old actor revealed the off-screen prank he apparently suffered when he took the director’s chair, as well as what the future holds for Castiel in season 10.
The recently aired episode “Mother’s Little Helper” was Misha’sfirst directorial job, which he said was a challenge in itself, worsen by Jared and Jensen’s determination to keep on his toes.
“I’m a first-time director, so a lot of it was new to me, and I’m learning the ropes. That, in and of itself, is going to be challenging,” he told TV Line.
“I was also dealing with Jared and Jensen as the primary characters. That brought with it its own set of particular challenges. They were constantly pranking me, throwing pies at my face and that sort of thing, which gave me a whole second set of thing to be worrying about in any given moment.
“But all in all, it was a remarkably good experience. The boys were so excited to, for example, throw pies in my face, that the time in between [pranks], they actually did their jobs very well – because they were trying to get me off guard. So it actually ended up working out pretty well.”
Jared and Jensen truly seemed to be so proud of their pranks that they did it twice. Jared first launched a pie at Misha’s face, even licking a bit of it off after they have had their laugh. After Misha cleaned himself off, Jensen then smashed another pie frosting at the unsuspecting first-time director.
Watch the funny clips uploaded by Misha on his YouTube account:
All pranks aside, Misha appeared to have a blast directing. The episode, 17th of season nine, was “a great episode to direct.” And although there were “wildcards” that he thought could have gone either way, his job was lightened by the guest cast, such as Alaina Huff, who plays the demon Abaddon, and Gil McKinney, who plays Sam and Dean Winchester’s grandfather, Henry Winchester.
“I had the boys [Jensen and Jared], and obviously they’re not terribly talented actors, but they’ve been working on the show for long enough that they know what’s going on,” Misha, of course, was just kidding to Huffington Post.
Surprisingly, though, for a “complete a**hole,” Jensen, who directed several episodes of the show in the past, was “actually very helpful.” He gave Misha tips and advice, which Misha found to be very valuable when he did his job.
“The fact that Jensen has directed before made him a little bit nicer to me than he would have otherwise been. He was, obviously, fully complicit in pranking me, but he also wanted to support me and make sure that I had a good experience as a director.”
Misha also gave revealed some tidbits about the show, including Castiel noticing Dean’s Mark of Cain and knowing it’s a bad thing, and the angel’s mission to hunt down Metatron (Curtis Armstrong).
“That’s his primary objective,” he said of Castiel’s mission against Metatron. “As the season progresses, his objective of capturing Metatron and the boys’ mission will converge and they will be collaborating with one another.”
The grace Castiel stole from another angel will also come back to haunt him.
“It’s affecting him physically. It’s affecting his powers. Maybe on an emotional level, it’s affecting him in that he knows that he’s a bit of a ticking time bomb. This stolen grace is a bit of a cancer that’s eating at him,” he told TV Line.
For Castiel fans, there’s good and a bit of uncertain news coming from Misha himself. Cas will be “pretty involved in four of the last six episodes of the season, so we’ll be seeing a lot of him,” which is probably the best news Cas fans have heard in a while, considering Misha has been in front of the camera only a few times in the last and current season, and intermittently as well.
However, Castiel’s future in season 10 is still unknown.
“I would like very much to be a part of Season 10 and I hope that that is in the offing. It is not something that anyone from production has approached me about yet. I think they’re still working out story lines for the end of this season and for next season. I have no speculation on where the show goes for Season 10, and whether it includes me or not, I can’t say with any great certainty,” he told Huffington Post.
“Supernatural” will take a short break until April 15 with “Meta Fiction.” Its season finale is scheduled to air on May 20.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS