Samsung Galaxy S5 Active Carrier Predictions: AT&T and Sprint on the List
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 26, 2014 12:28 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S5 consistently made headlines after its launch in the Mobile World Congress in February 2014. Despite its water and dust resistant features, the Samsung Galaxy S5 is rumoured to release yet another version of the phone that will better stand the rugged user lifestyle, the model will be called the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active.
A new Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone is seen on a display at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 23, 2014. Samsung Electronics unveiled a new smart watch and fitness band along with the latest version of its flagship Galaxy smartphone on Monday, demonstrating how the battleground for innovation is shifting from the hand to the wrist.Picture taken on February 23. REUTERS/Albert Gea
What does Samsung mean with "Active?"
The Active version of Samsung smartphone is first introduced in 2013 with the S4 model at the helm. The "Active" characteristic is added to the phone feature so it could specifically meet the demands of sporty users and those who live an active lifestyle and needing a sturdier handset. In the Galaxy S4 Active variant, the feature was applied into the Smartphone's camera, allowing the phone to capture images underwater even though possible for only a very quick span of time.
Samsung Galaxy S5's Active Version Leaked
Noteworthy leaker @evleaks revealed in a tweet that there will be an Active version of Samsung Galaxy S5 following what the Korean phone maker did in the previous year for the S4. The Galaxy S5 will have the model number SM-G870x, and is expected to launch this 2014.
Gadget geeks found Samsung's attempt surprising since the Galaxy S5s original version already offer the waterproof and dust resistant features in default. The Active variant may not be required anymore; however, if the rumour will prove true, it is a possibility that the SM-G870x will be the cheaper version of the Samsung Galaxy S5, according to Sammobile.
The flagship Galaxy S5 comes with 5.10-inch 1080x1920 display, and powered by 2.5GHz processor. It sports a 16-megapixel rear camera with impressive selective focus among other features. To lower the cost of the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active model, it is predicted that the handset may have downgraded hardware features.
AT&T and Sprint to offer the Samsung Galaxy S5's Active
The leaker provided a prediction on which US carrier will offer the Samsung Galaxy S5's Active. AT&T and Sprint are specifically mentioned on the tweet, but there are no details of the handsets availability in T-Mobile and Verizon.
Meanwhile, the Galaxy S5 is already available for pre-orders in Australian carriers with a price tag of $899.95 for the 16GB variant. However, there is no surfacing reports of the Active version's availability and price in the country as of this writing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report