Samsung Galaxy S5 Active Carrier Predictions: AT&T and Sprint on the List
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 26, 2014 12:28 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S5 consistently made headlines after its launch in the Mobile World Congress in February 2014. Despite its water and dust resistant features, the Samsung Galaxy S5 is rumoured to release yet another version of the phone that will better stand the rugged user lifestyle, the model will be called the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active.
A new Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone is seen on a display at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 23, 2014. Samsung Electronics unveiled a new smart watch and fitness band along with the latest version of its flagship Galaxy smartphone on Monday, demonstrating how the battleground for innovation is shifting from the hand to the wrist.Picture taken on February 23. REUTERS/Albert Gea
What does Samsung mean with "Active?"
The Active version of Samsung smartphone is first introduced in 2013 with the S4 model at the helm. The "Active" characteristic is added to the phone feature so it could specifically meet the demands of sporty users and those who live an active lifestyle and needing a sturdier handset. In the Galaxy S4 Active variant, the feature was applied into the Smartphone's camera, allowing the phone to capture images underwater even though possible for only a very quick span of time.
Samsung Galaxy S5's Active Version Leaked
Noteworthy leaker @evleaks revealed in a tweet that there will be an Active version of Samsung Galaxy S5 following what the Korean phone maker did in the previous year for the S4. The Galaxy S5 will have the model number SM-G870x, and is expected to launch this 2014.
Gadget geeks found Samsung's attempt surprising since the Galaxy S5s original version already offer the waterproof and dust resistant features in default. The Active variant may not be required anymore; however, if the rumour will prove true, it is a possibility that the SM-G870x will be the cheaper version of the Samsung Galaxy S5, according to Sammobile.
The flagship Galaxy S5 comes with 5.10-inch 1080x1920 display, and powered by 2.5GHz processor. It sports a 16-megapixel rear camera with impressive selective focus among other features. To lower the cost of the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active model, it is predicted that the handset may have downgraded hardware features.
AT&T and Sprint to offer the Samsung Galaxy S5's Active
The leaker provided a prediction on which US carrier will offer the Samsung Galaxy S5's Active. AT&T and Sprint are specifically mentioned on the tweet, but there are no details of the handsets availability in T-Mobile and Verizon.
Meanwhile, the Galaxy S5 is already available for pre-orders in Australian carriers with a price tag of $899.95 for the 16GB variant. However, there is no surfacing reports of the Active version's availability and price in the country as of this writing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices