NBA Rumours: Memphis Grizzlies to Sign Pau Gasol, if Zach Randolph Bolts Out
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 26, 2014 11:19 AM EST
The Memphis Grizzlies are reportedly eyeing All-Star power forward Pau Gasol if Zach Randolph decides to leave this coming summer, a source close to the situation reported on Tuesday.
The Grizzlies are not throwing away the possibility of having the Gasol Brothers manning their front-court. Marc Gasol, the reigning Defensive Player of the Year, has been the anchor of the Grizz' frontline, while Randolph further adds more beef in their interior.
However, with Randolph becoming a free-agent this summer, there are rumours that the Grizzlies could make a move to re-acquire Gasol back in Memphis.
"Randolph could opt out of the final year of his contract worth $16.5 million to seek a longterm deal either from the Grizzlies or other interested teams. In that case, the Grizzlies are expected to prioritize keeping Randolph before making a run at Gasol," Latino Post reported.
Gasol spent his first six and half seasons with the Grizzlies, serving as the team's franchise player since he was picked third overall in the 2001 NBA Draft. In 2007, the Lakers pulled off a blockbuster deal that helped them land Gasol in exchange for a bevy of journeymen and the rights to Marc Gasol.
Meanwhile, the Grizzlies have become a contender in the Western Conference for the past four years since their acquisition of Randolph. In 2013, the Grizzlies reached the Western Conference finals, but they fell in four games to a seasoned team in San Antonio Spurs.
Grizzlies head coach Dave Joerger wanted the big man to stay in Memphis, though he admitted that he doesn't have the power to change Randolph's decision this coming summer.
"We've had a great rapport and just a great relationship," Joerger said of Randolph. "He has helped me a ton, so I hope everything works out for the best."
Randolph is averaging at least 17 points and 10 boards per game for the Grizzlies, who are sneaking in to secure the 8th spot in a very tough Western Conference battle.
On the other hand, Gasol recovered from a slow start and has been playing well in the past two months. He is averaging 17.5 points, 9.8 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game for the Lakers, who are in the cellar of the Western Conference ladder.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers