NBA Rumours: Memphis Grizzlies to Sign Pau Gasol, if Zach Randolph Bolts Out
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 26, 2014 11:19 AM EST
The Memphis Grizzlies are reportedly eyeing All-Star power forward Pau Gasol if Zach Randolph decides to leave this coming summer, a source close to the situation reported on Tuesday.
The Grizzlies are not throwing away the possibility of having the Gasol Brothers manning their front-court. Marc Gasol, the reigning Defensive Player of the Year, has been the anchor of the Grizz' frontline, while Randolph further adds more beef in their interior.
However, with Randolph becoming a free-agent this summer, there are rumours that the Grizzlies could make a move to re-acquire Gasol back in Memphis.
"Randolph could opt out of the final year of his contract worth $16.5 million to seek a longterm deal either from the Grizzlies or other interested teams. In that case, the Grizzlies are expected to prioritize keeping Randolph before making a run at Gasol," Latino Post reported.
Gasol spent his first six and half seasons with the Grizzlies, serving as the team's franchise player since he was picked third overall in the 2001 NBA Draft. In 2007, the Lakers pulled off a blockbuster deal that helped them land Gasol in exchange for a bevy of journeymen and the rights to Marc Gasol.
Meanwhile, the Grizzlies have become a contender in the Western Conference for the past four years since their acquisition of Randolph. In 2013, the Grizzlies reached the Western Conference finals, but they fell in four games to a seasoned team in San Antonio Spurs.
Grizzlies head coach Dave Joerger wanted the big man to stay in Memphis, though he admitted that he doesn't have the power to change Randolph's decision this coming summer.
"We've had a great rapport and just a great relationship," Joerger said of Randolph. "He has helped me a ton, so I hope everything works out for the best."
Randolph is averaging at least 17 points and 10 boards per game for the Grizzlies, who are sneaking in to secure the 8th spot in a very tough Western Conference battle.
On the other hand, Gasol recovered from a slow start and has been playing well in the past two months. He is averaging 17.5 points, 9.8 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game for the Lakers, who are in the cellar of the Western Conference ladder.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports