U.S. School Bans Leggings for Girls, Calls It ‘Too Distracting for Boys’
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 26, 2014 11:00 AM EST
Female students of a U.S. school are asking their male counterparts if their pants are responsible for low test scores of the latter.
Haven Middle School banned girls from wearing leggings for being "too distracting" for boys. The girls, on the other hand, found the decision unfair and sexist. Over 500 students took part in a protest against the ban on March 18. They wore leggings and yoga pants there and signed a joined petition opposing the ban, Evanston Review reported.
The use of yoga pants or leggings has been banned as they are considered to "distract" boys, according to 13-year-old Sophie Hasty. Ms. Hasty said that the decision indicated that the girls were responsible for the boys' actions. She said in her email that the girls would merely want "to be comfortable".
Juliet Bond, one of the parents, was upset when she came to know that the school had imposed such a ban on girls. She expressed her views on the issue in a letter to Kathleen Roberson, the principal of the school. Ms Bond said that girls were previously allowed to wear leggings. Their shirts, however, had to reach their fingertips while they stood up; she said.
On the other hand, the new policy was something that asked the girls to be shameful about their bodies, she felt. According to Ms Bond, the message was to let the girls know that they should cover up. Ms Bond said that she was asked to meet Mr Roberson after her letter. She said that they had a "very positive" discussion on the issue.
Meanwhile, Haven Middle School Principal Ms Roberson issued a letter on March 18. The letter said that the school did not change its policies regarding the dress code, which meant that the girls were still allowed to wear yoga pants and leggings. She wrote that appearance and dress are "important component" at her school to create a "respectful learning environment."
The ban is to be reviewed on Tuesday March 25, Mr Roberson said in her email.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- British Teenager Wants Her Leg Cut To be Able To Compete At Paralympics – Watch Video
- Pope Francis, Catholic Church Key To Climate Change Effort
- Passengers Shouted 'Shame' On Pak Politician For Delaying Flight And Barred Him From Boarding
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border