MLB Trade Rumors: Pittsburgh Pirates Close to Acquiring Didi Gregorious
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 26, 2014 10:54 AM EST
The Pittsburgh Pirates are reportedly close to acquiring young shortstop Didi Gregorious of the Arizona Diamondbacks, a source close to situation reported on Tuesday.
The 24-year old Gregorious started 97 games last season but he failed to outshine Chris Owing and lost his spot this Spring Training. On the other hand, the Pirates are looking to make an upgrade at shortstop despite announcing Jordy Mercer as their starter in the position.
"Despite starting 97 games at shortstop for the Diamondbacks in 2013, Gregorius was made available for trade after Chris Owings won the battle for the shortstop position this spring. The Pirates, for their part, are heading into 2014 with Jordy Mercer penciled in as their starting shortstop. But, if Morosi's report is accurate, they could be looking for an upgrade at the position," via SB Nation.
Gregorious, who was traded to Arizona as part of the three-team deal with the Cincinnati Reds and Cleveland Indians last season, did well in his first full season in the MLB, as he batted .252/.332/.373 for the Diamondbacks.
Many baseball followers believed Gregorious is a great upgrade for the Pirates at shortstop - a move that could give them a young player who could develop into a solid or perhaps All-Star caliber performer in the coming years.
"For the time being, however, just the Pirates appear to have legitimate interest in Gregorius, as neither Mercer nor back-up Clint Barmes is a great option for a team with playoff hopes," via SB Nation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed