MLB Trade Rumors: Pittsburgh Pirates Close to Acquiring Didi Gregorious
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 26, 2014 10:54 AM EST
The Pittsburgh Pirates are reportedly close to acquiring young shortstop Didi Gregorious of the Arizona Diamondbacks, a source close to situation reported on Tuesday.
The 24-year old Gregorious started 97 games last season but he failed to outshine Chris Owing and lost his spot this Spring Training. On the other hand, the Pirates are looking to make an upgrade at shortstop despite announcing Jordy Mercer as their starter in the position.
"Despite starting 97 games at shortstop for the Diamondbacks in 2013, Gregorius was made available for trade after Chris Owings won the battle for the shortstop position this spring. The Pirates, for their part, are heading into 2014 with Jordy Mercer penciled in as their starting shortstop. But, if Morosi's report is accurate, they could be looking for an upgrade at the position," via SB Nation.
Gregorious, who was traded to Arizona as part of the three-team deal with the Cincinnati Reds and Cleveland Indians last season, did well in his first full season in the MLB, as he batted .252/.332/.373 for the Diamondbacks.
Many baseball followers believed Gregorious is a great upgrade for the Pirates at shortstop - a move that could give them a young player who could develop into a solid or perhaps All-Star caliber performer in the coming years.
"For the time being, however, just the Pirates appear to have legitimate interest in Gregorius, as neither Mercer nor back-up Clint Barmes is a great option for a team with playoff hopes," via SB Nation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June