Lok Sabha Elections 2014: TDP Forms Panels to Rebuild Party in Telangana, Ali to Contest Polls
By Rama Mohan | March 26, 2014 2:48 AM EST
Telugu Desam Party (TDP) is now concentrating on rebuilding its base in Telangana in the run-up to the election to State Assembly on 17 April and Lok Sabha on 7 May in Andhra Pradesh. Alampur Congress MLA Dr Abraham and another leader Satish Madiga joined TDP in the presence of TDP president N Chandrababu Naidu at “Prajagarjana” election rally in Mahaboobnagar on 25 March.
Indian Parliament (Reuters)
In the backdrop of the Centre's move to carve out Telangana state on 2 June and the hijacking of the credit for the same by Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS), many leaders from TDP have joined TRS, hoping TRS will form the next government in the new state. Now TDP is striving to regain the lost strength in the Telangana area.
However, TDP is enriched with the entry of recently defected Congress leaders in the Seemandhra region of AP. Chandrababu Naidu on 24 March announced two committees - the election committee and a manifesto committee to work for the party's revival in Telangana. The 16-member election committee will be headed by Jagityala MLA and senior TDP leader L Ramana. Another senior leader of the party, Errabelli Dayakar Rao, will be its working president, while Rajya Sabha member T Devender Goud will be its advisor and Motkupalli Narasimhulu will be its convenor.
Naidu said the election manifesto committee, which will also have 16 members, will be headed by Ravula Chandrasekhar Reddy, a senior TDP MLA. To pamper some dissatisfied leaders from Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, the TDP chief is to accommodate them in these newly formed committees.
Meanwhile, popular Tollywood comedian Ali has stated that he would join TDP to contest from his native place Rajahmundry city in the coastal Andhra Pradesh. He confirmed that TDP has approached him and offered a ticket to contest the elections. However, he is yet to confirm whether he is going to contest Lok Sabha election or Assembly election.
Ali is a senior comedian in Telugu cinema. He also hosts popular reality show “Ali 365, who is the Katravalli?” on ETV. When asked about Pawan Kalyan's Jana Sena party, Ali said: "His (Pawan Kalyan's) principles are great and he is service minded," reported The Hindu.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report