NASA’s Spacecraft Finds New Gully on Mars that was not Present Three Years Ago
By Parismita Goswami | March 25, 2014 9:14 PM EST
NASA’s Spacecraft Finds New Gully on Mars; Not Present Three-Years-Ago
The gully shows a deep depression on the Red Planet on 25 May 2013, but the mark was not present in HiRISE photos of the region taken on 05 November 2010, according to the U.S. space agency.
However, NASA is working to find out the origin of the massive gully on the surface of the Red Planet. They are also to determine the exact time of the gully's formation.
The US space agency says that they are not considering the possibility of water involved in the formation of gully and instead suspect the role of carbon dioxide in the gully formation. Since long, NASA has observed carbon dioxide playing the role of water on the Red Planet.
"The dates of the images are more than a full Martian year apart, so the observations did not pin down the Martian season of the activity at this site. [However,] before-and-after HiRISE pairs of similar activity at other sites demonstrate that this type of activity generally occurs in winter, at temperatures so cold that carbon dioxide, rather than water, is likely to play the key role." Space Reporter quoted NASA officials.
This also supports the fact that some kind of liquid water may have flown in some areas in the planet Mars. If water does exist across the Red Planet's surface, it is likely that the planet can also host life on it.
However, it is not clear if NASA will shift its Curiosity Rover in search for similar regions close to Mount Sharp, where the hunt for signs of water is currently going on.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of No Where and Disappears, MUFON Report
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build