NASA’s Spacecraft Finds New Gully on Mars that was not Present Three Years Ago
By Parismita Goswami | March 25, 2014 9:14 PM EST
NASA’s Spacecraft Finds New Gully on Mars; Not Present Three-Years-Ago
The gully shows a deep depression on the Red Planet on 25 May 2013, but the mark was not present in HiRISE photos of the region taken on 05 November 2010, according to the U.S. space agency.
However, NASA is working to find out the origin of the massive gully on the surface of the Red Planet. They are also to determine the exact time of the gully's formation.
The US space agency says that they are not considering the possibility of water involved in the formation of gully and instead suspect the role of carbon dioxide in the gully formation. Since long, NASA has observed carbon dioxide playing the role of water on the Red Planet.
"The dates of the images are more than a full Martian year apart, so the observations did not pin down the Martian season of the activity at this site. [However,] before-and-after HiRISE pairs of similar activity at other sites demonstrate that this type of activity generally occurs in winter, at temperatures so cold that carbon dioxide, rather than water, is likely to play the key role." Space Reporter quoted NASA officials.
This also supports the fact that some kind of liquid water may have flown in some areas in the planet Mars. If water does exist across the Red Planet's surface, it is likely that the planet can also host life on it.
However, it is not clear if NASA will shift its Curiosity Rover in search for similar regions close to Mount Sharp, where the hunt for signs of water is currently going on.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide