IPL Fixing Charges: Supreme Court Asks N Srinivasan to Step Down for Fair Probe
By Shruthi SU | March 25, 2014 8:07 PM EST
The Supreme Court has asked BCCI President N Srinivasan to step down from his position as a first step for a fair probe in the IPL fixing charges. Also, the court finds Srinivasan's reluctance to quit "nauseating".
The BCCI chief will face a court order to step down if he does not act before the next hearing on Thursday.
"No fair investigation is possible unless he steps down," the court stated, reported PTI. The next hearing will be on 27 March before which Srinivasan will have to make a call, observed a two-man panel of the apex court - Justices AK Patnaik and FMI Kalifulla. Patnaik clarified that otherwise the court will pass an order and make it "mandatory" for him to quit.
"Content in the sealed report is damning. Why is Srinivasan sticking to the chair? If he doesn't quit, we would pass an order," the court stated.
Though the report of the Mudgal committee were not disclosed to the public, the BCCI lawyers were shown portions of it.
"There are no definite findings by the Mudgal committee but the allegations are of a very serious nature," Patnaik said about the sealed envelope.
The Mudgal report submitted on 10 February alleged Gurunath Meiyappan, the BCCI chief's son-in-law, of making bets and passing on information about the team to outsiders. The report also stated that he was not simply an "enthusiast" but a close official of IPL franchise CSK. The main cause of the report was to "cleanse the game".
Meanwhile, Srinivasan refused to comment on the issue. However, BCCI vice-president Ravi Savant said the board has no option but to abide by the court. "I haven't read the report yet," Savant told Headlines Today. "But if the Supreme Court has said something we are bound by it. It cannot be ignored."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date