IPL Fixing Charges: Supreme Court Asks N Srinivasan to Step Down for Fair Probe
By Shruthi SU | March 25, 2014 8:07 PM EST
The Supreme Court has asked BCCI President N Srinivasan to step down from his position as a first step for a fair probe in the IPL fixing charges. Also, the court finds Srinivasan's reluctance to quit "nauseating".
The BCCI chief will face a court order to step down if he does not act before the next hearing on Thursday.
"No fair investigation is possible unless he steps down," the court stated, reported PTI. The next hearing will be on 27 March before which Srinivasan will have to make a call, observed a two-man panel of the apex court - Justices AK Patnaik and FMI Kalifulla. Patnaik clarified that otherwise the court will pass an order and make it "mandatory" for him to quit.
"Content in the sealed report is damning. Why is Srinivasan sticking to the chair? If he doesn't quit, we would pass an order," the court stated.
Though the report of the Mudgal committee were not disclosed to the public, the BCCI lawyers were shown portions of it.
"There are no definite findings by the Mudgal committee but the allegations are of a very serious nature," Patnaik said about the sealed envelope.
The Mudgal report submitted on 10 February alleged Gurunath Meiyappan, the BCCI chief's son-in-law, of making bets and passing on information about the team to outsiders. The report also stated that he was not simply an "enthusiast" but a close official of IPL franchise CSK. The main cause of the report was to "cleanse the game".
Meanwhile, Srinivasan refused to comment on the issue. However, BCCI vice-president Ravi Savant said the board has no option but to abide by the court. "I haven't read the report yet," Savant told Headlines Today. "But if the Supreme Court has said something we are bound by it. It cannot be ignored."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Daley Blind Is 'Not Strong Enough' For The Premier League - Scholes
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How