‘The Good Wife’ Season 5 Spoilers: Why Did the Show Kill off Will Gardner?
By Keerthi Mohan | March 25, 2014 7:52 PM EST
Fans of “The Good Wife” were left reeling after Sunday’s episode, as one of the show’s most popular characters, Will Gardner, played by Josh Charles, was killed off.
Gardner was gunned down by his client in the middle of the courtroom, and he was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
The Good Wife
Soon after the episode was aired, Twitter was abuzz with fans expressing their shock at losing Gardner, a dashing attorney. While many noted that it will be difficult to get over Gardner’s death, another section called for a boycott of the CBS’ legal drama.
“Will Gardner is dead. And my life is ruined,” yet another viewer noted.
“The Good Wife” creators – Robert and Michelle King -- soon posted online a letter titled “Dear Loyal Good Wife Fans” explaining that the reason for killing off Gardner was because Charles was leaving the show.
They said that although they toyed with the possibility of sending off Gardner to Seattle, get married or disbarred, they decided against it, as the characters of Will and Alicia shared a passion that wouldn’t die down because they are at different places.
"The brutal honesty and reality of death speaks to the truth and tragedy of bad timing for these two characters. Will's death propels Alicia into her newest incarnation," they wrote.
Meanwhile, Charles too said that killing off the character was a wise move and called it powerful, strong and shocking.
In an interview with TVLine, Charles stated the need to explore other options as the reason for quitting the show.
“Creatively, I’m excited about where this year has gone, and the depths that they’ve taken Will to has been really interesting for me. It has been an overwhelmingly positive experience. [But] you just kind of know sometimes when you’re ready to move on to new experiences. And that [doesn't mean] there’s something wrong with this experience. It’s more about what I want to explore. It does me no good to second-guess that,” he explained.
The actor won a People’s Choice Award for favorite dramatic television actor for his “The Good Wife” role in addition to clinching a Golden Globe nomination.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales