‘The Good Wife’ Season 5 Spoilers: Why Did the Show Kill off Will Gardner?
By Keerthi Mohan | March 25, 2014 7:52 PM EST
Fans of “The Good Wife” were left reeling after Sunday’s episode, as one of the show’s most popular characters, Will Gardner, played by Josh Charles, was killed off.
Gardner was gunned down by his client in the middle of the courtroom, and he was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
The Good Wife
Soon after the episode was aired, Twitter was abuzz with fans expressing their shock at losing Gardner, a dashing attorney. While many noted that it will be difficult to get over Gardner’s death, another section called for a boycott of the CBS’ legal drama.
“Will Gardner is dead. And my life is ruined,” yet another viewer noted.
“The Good Wife” creators – Robert and Michelle King -- soon posted online a letter titled “Dear Loyal Good Wife Fans” explaining that the reason for killing off Gardner was because Charles was leaving the show.
They said that although they toyed with the possibility of sending off Gardner to Seattle, get married or disbarred, they decided against it, as the characters of Will and Alicia shared a passion that wouldn’t die down because they are at different places.
"The brutal honesty and reality of death speaks to the truth and tragedy of bad timing for these two characters. Will's death propels Alicia into her newest incarnation," they wrote.
Meanwhile, Charles too said that killing off the character was a wise move and called it powerful, strong and shocking.
In an interview with TVLine, Charles stated the need to explore other options as the reason for quitting the show.
“Creatively, I’m excited about where this year has gone, and the depths that they’ve taken Will to has been really interesting for me. It has been an overwhelmingly positive experience. [But] you just kind of know sometimes when you’re ready to move on to new experiences. And that [doesn't mean] there’s something wrong with this experience. It’s more about what I want to explore. It does me no good to second-guess that,” he explained.
The actor won a People’s Choice Award for favorite dramatic television actor for his “The Good Wife” role in addition to clinching a Golden Globe nomination.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- The Bold and the Beautiful Spoilers for July 31, 2014: Plans, Conditions and Ultimatums in B&B [WATCH VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools