‘The Good Wife’ Season 5 Spoilers: Why Did the Show Kill off Will Gardner?
By Keerthi Mohan | March 25, 2014 7:52 PM EST
Fans of “The Good Wife” were left reeling after Sunday’s episode, as one of the show’s most popular characters, Will Gardner, played by Josh Charles, was killed off.
Gardner was gunned down by his client in the middle of the courtroom, and he was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
The Good Wife
Soon after the episode was aired, Twitter was abuzz with fans expressing their shock at losing Gardner, a dashing attorney. While many noted that it will be difficult to get over Gardner’s death, another section called for a boycott of the CBS’ legal drama.
“Will Gardner is dead. And my life is ruined,” yet another viewer noted.
“The Good Wife” creators – Robert and Michelle King -- soon posted online a letter titled “Dear Loyal Good Wife Fans” explaining that the reason for killing off Gardner was because Charles was leaving the show.
They said that although they toyed with the possibility of sending off Gardner to Seattle, get married or disbarred, they decided against it, as the characters of Will and Alicia shared a passion that wouldn’t die down because they are at different places.
"The brutal honesty and reality of death speaks to the truth and tragedy of bad timing for these two characters. Will's death propels Alicia into her newest incarnation," they wrote.
Meanwhile, Charles too said that killing off the character was a wise move and called it powerful, strong and shocking.
In an interview with TVLine, Charles stated the need to explore other options as the reason for quitting the show.
“Creatively, I’m excited about where this year has gone, and the depths that they’ve taken Will to has been really interesting for me. It has been an overwhelmingly positive experience. [But] you just kind of know sometimes when you’re ready to move on to new experiences. And that [doesn't mean] there’s something wrong with this experience. It’s more about what I want to explore. It does me no good to second-guess that,” he explained.
The actor won a People’s Choice Award for favorite dramatic television actor for his “The Good Wife” role in addition to clinching a Golden Globe nomination.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate