‘Dancing with the Stars’ Season 18 Shocking Elimination: Diana Nyad, Sean Avery Sent Home
By Keerthi Mohan | March 25, 2014 6:28 PM EST
“Dancing with the Stars” Season 18, week two kicked off with host Tom Bergeron’s shocking announcement that two pairs would be eliminated at the end of the episode.
Long distance swimmer Diana Nyad and her partner Henry Byalikov, and Canadian former professional ice hockey player Sean Avery and Karina Smirnoff were the first two pairs to be sent home.
Both the pairs had scored low points from judges after their debut performances with Nyad scoring 18 and Avery 20. These scores, combined with viewer-voting results put the athletes in the danger zone, resulting in their elimination.
"For years I've wanted to do this show," Nyad, 64, said soon after her elimination, adding that her only regret was not giving Byalikov a few more weeks on the show. The swimmer left the show after performing a Cha-Cha with her partner.
“When I would stand on that shore over in Cuba and look out at the horizon, I knew that what was in front of me was going to be at least two, probably more like two-and-a-half nonstop days in the open ocean, with all kinds of obstacles," Nyad told TVGuide.
"And [Monday], as I stood holding [partner Henry Byalikov's] hands, I was thinking, 'You have one minute and six seconds for this foxtrot.' It's just an absurdly different kind of challenge."
While Nyad’s elimination was a shock to many, Avery was not a fan favourite, and many expressed their desire to see him off the show soon after his first performance last week.
Although the judges were kind in critiquing his contemporary number, fans did not spare him. And judging by the comments on micro-blogging siteTwitter, fans are glad to see him go.
“Sean Avery dancing is just so awkward,” wrote one, while another added: “Someone needs to redeem hockey players on #DWTS because Sean Avery isn't doing it.”
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop