MLB Rumors: Tigers Could Trade For Yasiel Puig, Giancarlo Stanton With Max Scherzer as Trade Bait
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 25, 2014 6:18 PM EST
Cy Young award winner Max Scherzer has reportedly rejected a six-year, $144 million contract extension offer from the Detroit Tigers, making a big trade target for multiple teams this upcoming 2014 MLB season.
Scherzer went 21-3 with a 2.90 ERA with 240 strikeouts to earn his first career CY Young Award last season. He's expected to become a free-agent at the end of the upcoming season, prompting the Tigers front office to come up with a deal to lock in one of their best pitchers.
But Scherzer isn't interested to sign the contract presented by the Tigers. According to sources, the Tigers offered a deal that would pay Scherzer slightly lower than the $25.7 million per year deal signed by former CY Young winner and MVP Justin Verlander in 2012. Unfortunately for the Tigers, Scherzer wanted a contract that would make him one of the highest-paid hurlers in baseball.
In a report by ESPN, Scherzer already provided guidelines for the Tigers on the contract extension. Scott Boras, who serves as Scherzer's agent, said the CY Young winning pitcher offered a substantial long-term, but the Tigers front office rejected the deal and restructured a new contract.
"Max Scherzer made a substantial long-term contract extension offer to the Detroit Tigers that would have placed him among the highest-paid pitchers in baseball, and the offer was rejected by Detroit,'' Boras said in an interview with ESPN.
Tigers Could Target Yasiel Puig, Giancarlo Stanton
Of course, the Tigers' will still try to hammer a contract extension with Scherzer, but another collapse in their negotiation could lead to a potential blockbuster deal with another team.
Latino Post provided potential targets for Detroit should their dilemma with Scherzer persist. Miami Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton and Los Angeles Dodgers' Yasiel Puig could be eyed by the Tigers as compensation for letting Scherzer join to a team capable of giving him the money he wants.
Stanton has been a subject of trade speculation of late, with the Boston Red Sox emerging as the favourite to land the young slugger. On the other hand, the Dodgers have been disappointed about the immaturity of Puig, who drew criticisms from his teammates and even his manager.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers