MLB Rumors: Tigers Could Trade For Yasiel Puig, Giancarlo Stanton With Max Scherzer as Trade Bait
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 25, 2014 6:18 PM EST
Cy Young award winner Max Scherzer has reportedly rejected a six-year, $144 million contract extension offer from the Detroit Tigers, making a big trade target for multiple teams this upcoming 2014 MLB season.
Scherzer went 21-3 with a 2.90 ERA with 240 strikeouts to earn his first career CY Young Award last season. He's expected to become a free-agent at the end of the upcoming season, prompting the Tigers front office to come up with a deal to lock in one of their best pitchers.
But Scherzer isn't interested to sign the contract presented by the Tigers. According to sources, the Tigers offered a deal that would pay Scherzer slightly lower than the $25.7 million per year deal signed by former CY Young winner and MVP Justin Verlander in 2012. Unfortunately for the Tigers, Scherzer wanted a contract that would make him one of the highest-paid hurlers in baseball.
In a report by ESPN, Scherzer already provided guidelines for the Tigers on the contract extension. Scott Boras, who serves as Scherzer's agent, said the CY Young winning pitcher offered a substantial long-term, but the Tigers front office rejected the deal and restructured a new contract.
"Max Scherzer made a substantial long-term contract extension offer to the Detroit Tigers that would have placed him among the highest-paid pitchers in baseball, and the offer was rejected by Detroit,'' Boras said in an interview with ESPN.
Tigers Could Target Yasiel Puig, Giancarlo Stanton
Of course, the Tigers' will still try to hammer a contract extension with Scherzer, but another collapse in their negotiation could lead to a potential blockbuster deal with another team.
Latino Post provided potential targets for Detroit should their dilemma with Scherzer persist. Miami Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton and Los Angeles Dodgers' Yasiel Puig could be eyed by the Tigers as compensation for letting Scherzer join to a team capable of giving him the money he wants.
Stanton has been a subject of trade speculation of late, with the Boston Red Sox emerging as the favourite to land the young slugger. On the other hand, the Dodgers have been disappointed about the immaturity of Puig, who drew criticisms from his teammates and even his manager.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop