MLB Rumors: Tigers Could Trade For Yasiel Puig, Giancarlo Stanton With Max Scherzer as Trade Bait
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 25, 2014 6:18 PM EST
Cy Young award winner Max Scherzer has reportedly rejected a six-year, $144 million contract extension offer from the Detroit Tigers, making a big trade target for multiple teams this upcoming 2014 MLB season.
Scherzer went 21-3 with a 2.90 ERA with 240 strikeouts to earn his first career CY Young Award last season. He's expected to become a free-agent at the end of the upcoming season, prompting the Tigers front office to come up with a deal to lock in one of their best pitchers.
But Scherzer isn't interested to sign the contract presented by the Tigers. According to sources, the Tigers offered a deal that would pay Scherzer slightly lower than the $25.7 million per year deal signed by former CY Young winner and MVP Justin Verlander in 2012. Unfortunately for the Tigers, Scherzer wanted a contract that would make him one of the highest-paid hurlers in baseball.
In a report by ESPN, Scherzer already provided guidelines for the Tigers on the contract extension. Scott Boras, who serves as Scherzer's agent, said the CY Young winning pitcher offered a substantial long-term, but the Tigers front office rejected the deal and restructured a new contract.
"Max Scherzer made a substantial long-term contract extension offer to the Detroit Tigers that would have placed him among the highest-paid pitchers in baseball, and the offer was rejected by Detroit,'' Boras said in an interview with ESPN.
Tigers Could Target Yasiel Puig, Giancarlo Stanton
Of course, the Tigers' will still try to hammer a contract extension with Scherzer, but another collapse in their negotiation could lead to a potential blockbuster deal with another team.
Latino Post provided potential targets for Detroit should their dilemma with Scherzer persist. Miami Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton and Los Angeles Dodgers' Yasiel Puig could be eyed by the Tigers as compensation for letting Scherzer join to a team capable of giving him the money he wants.
Stanton has been a subject of trade speculation of late, with the Boston Red Sox emerging as the favourite to land the young slugger. On the other hand, the Dodgers have been disappointed about the immaturity of Puig, who drew criticisms from his teammates and even his manager.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools