MLB Rumors: Tigers Could Trade For Yasiel Puig, Giancarlo Stanton With Max Scherzer as Trade Bait
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 25, 2014 6:18 PM EST
Cy Young award winner Max Scherzer has reportedly rejected a six-year, $144 million contract extension offer from the Detroit Tigers, making a big trade target for multiple teams this upcoming 2014 MLB season.
Scherzer went 21-3 with a 2.90 ERA with 240 strikeouts to earn his first career CY Young Award last season. He's expected to become a free-agent at the end of the upcoming season, prompting the Tigers front office to come up with a deal to lock in one of their best pitchers.
But Scherzer isn't interested to sign the contract presented by the Tigers. According to sources, the Tigers offered a deal that would pay Scherzer slightly lower than the $25.7 million per year deal signed by former CY Young winner and MVP Justin Verlander in 2012. Unfortunately for the Tigers, Scherzer wanted a contract that would make him one of the highest-paid hurlers in baseball.
In a report by ESPN, Scherzer already provided guidelines for the Tigers on the contract extension. Scott Boras, who serves as Scherzer's agent, said the CY Young winning pitcher offered a substantial long-term, but the Tigers front office rejected the deal and restructured a new contract.
"Max Scherzer made a substantial long-term contract extension offer to the Detroit Tigers that would have placed him among the highest-paid pitchers in baseball, and the offer was rejected by Detroit,'' Boras said in an interview with ESPN.
Tigers Could Target Yasiel Puig, Giancarlo Stanton
Of course, the Tigers' will still try to hammer a contract extension with Scherzer, but another collapse in their negotiation could lead to a potential blockbuster deal with another team.
Latino Post provided potential targets for Detroit should their dilemma with Scherzer persist. Miami Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton and Los Angeles Dodgers' Yasiel Puig could be eyed by the Tigers as compensation for letting Scherzer join to a team capable of giving him the money he wants.
Stanton has been a subject of trade speculation of late, with the Boston Red Sox emerging as the favourite to land the young slugger. On the other hand, the Dodgers have been disappointed about the immaturity of Puig, who drew criticisms from his teammates and even his manager.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates