Ben Reid Will Miss Extended Period of AFL Season for Calf Injury
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 25, 2014 6:06 PM EST
Collingwood's star swingman Ben Reid will miss an extended period of AFL because of calf injury.
Having been sidelined in the season-opening loss against Fremantle, Reid eyed towards his return for the upcoming match against Sydney on Saturday at the Olympic Stadium.
While Jesse White has got permission to play his first match against his former team Sydney, the chance to include Reid in the squad was ruled out by Coach Nathan Buckley.
Buckley said on Tuesday, "He hasn't passed a couple of the hurdles he's been asked to jump."
"To be conservative now, we think he's going to be another two to three weeks."
"We will have to ease up his progressions."
Buckley further stated that the absence of Reid gave chance to other players.
He further said, "There are no risks worth taking right now and, to be honest, he wouldn't be capable anyway."
"He needs to get back, robust and physically ready to go, before we give him the green light."
Reid would have been a strong contender in the upcoming match as Lance Franklin, having an excellent track record past-season with his former team is the one to look out for.
Buckley stated, "(Franklin) has got a fairly good record against us in a team that, in the last two years, has had a very strong record against us."
"He's a very good player, he's got a great talent, a great work ethic."
"He can kill you in the air and on the ground and that's why Sydney chased him so hard."
On the other hand, Buckley confirmed White has been included in the team to take on the Swans.
He said, "He's right to go and excited about taking on his old club."
"He's had a really strong preseason and had obviously been in the system for a long period of time when we recruited him."
"We thought he'd played the best football of his career in the last 12 months and he's really been focused on taking it to another level."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR - Preview and Live Streaming Link
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- Pope Francis Blasted For Defying Catholic Doctrine, Marries 20 Couples Who Have Cohabited And Had Children In No Else But St Peter's Basilica