Ben Reid Will Miss Extended Period of AFL Season for Calf Injury
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 25, 2014 6:06 PM EST
Collingwood's star swingman Ben Reid will miss an extended period of AFL because of calf injury.
Having been sidelined in the season-opening loss against Fremantle, Reid eyed towards his return for the upcoming match against Sydney on Saturday at the Olympic Stadium.
While Jesse White has got permission to play his first match against his former team Sydney, the chance to include Reid in the squad was ruled out by Coach Nathan Buckley.
Buckley said on Tuesday, "He hasn't passed a couple of the hurdles he's been asked to jump."
"To be conservative now, we think he's going to be another two to three weeks."
"We will have to ease up his progressions."
Buckley further stated that the absence of Reid gave chance to other players.
He further said, "There are no risks worth taking right now and, to be honest, he wouldn't be capable anyway."
"He needs to get back, robust and physically ready to go, before we give him the green light."
Reid would have been a strong contender in the upcoming match as Lance Franklin, having an excellent track record past-season with his former team is the one to look out for.
Buckley stated, "(Franklin) has got a fairly good record against us in a team that, in the last two years, has had a very strong record against us."
"He's a very good player, he's got a great talent, a great work ethic."
"He can kill you in the air and on the ground and that's why Sydney chased him so hard."
On the other hand, Buckley confirmed White has been included in the team to take on the Swans.
He said, "He's right to go and excited about taking on his old club."
"He's had a really strong preseason and had obviously been in the system for a long period of time when we recruited him."
"We thought he'd played the best football of his career in the last 12 months and he's really been focused on taking it to another level."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change