Alessandro Del Piero as Global Ambassador for 2015 Asian Cup
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 25, 2014 4:39 PM EST
Italian soccer star Alessandro Del Piero was named the Global Ambassador for the upcoming 2015 AFC Asian Cup.
Del Piero, who is currently associated with Sydney FC, will take up the role as an ambassador for the championship to be held in Australia in January.
The former Juventus star was very ecstatic on his role and his involvement with the 16th edition of Asian's football number one tournament.
Del Piero said after the announcement in Sydney on Tuesday, "I am very proud to be associated with the biggest football tournament ever held in Australia, the country that has become my home for the past two years."
"Asia is the fastest growing region in world football ... To be given the responsibility of hosting Asia's premier championship is a huge honour for Australia."
"To be given the responsibility of serving as global ambassador for that championship is a huge honour for me."
The 2015 Asian Cup is supposed to kick-start on Jan 9, 2015 and the final will be on Jan 31 in Sydney.
Sixteen nations will take part in this upcoming tournament, with only one nation yet to confirm joining the AFC challenge cup.
The 15 qualified nations for the cup are: Japan, Korea Republic, DPR Korea, Bahrain, China, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan and of course, the host Australia.
Del Piero can be considered as a perfect choice as an ambassador. Once a star player for Italy, he now captains Sydney FC in the A-League. His long record as a footballer ranked him as one of the topmost goal scorer of Italy with 342 goals.
He was also named in FIFA 100, a list of 125 great players of all time specifically selected by Pele for a centenary celebration of FIFA. Del Piero was also voted the best European players for past 50 years in the UEFA Golden Jubilee poll.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop