Android 4.4.3 Release: KTU72B Build Version to Fix Nexus 5 Camera Bug And Battery Drain on Next Update
By Ryan Inoyori | March 25, 2014 4:26 PM EST
A few days ago, a new firmware for LG Nexus 5 leaked online with build version KTU65 running Android 4.4.3. Currently, it suggests the firmware is designed to fix two major bugs on Nexus such as camera and battery drain issues.
Some owners of LG Nexus 5 are annoyed by a camera bug often seen as a software process called "mm-qcamera-daemon," which consumes resources and drains significant amount of power. According to BGR, Google is already on it and currently develops a permanent fix on the camera's glitch and significant battery drain caused by the bug.
But Google did not announce the timeline when Nexus 5 owners will have the upcoming update patch resolving the problem. Based on Google's Android Issue Tracker, they already have fixes for the current high CPU reports on Nexus 5 caused by the software process and will be included on the next maintenance update.
Here are other related issues found by Google's Android Issue Tracker:
1. Skype recent update accesses camera regularly (they don't currently believe that Skype contains a bug).
2. Regular app access to the camera in the background service can trigger the bug.
3. Video chat apps may cause the bug.
The update patch is still under testing and there is no exact date when will it be ready for rollout. But there are certain temporary fixes for the camera bug issues such as uninstalling Skype or any similar camera apps that access the background, provided these apps are triggering the bug otherwise, it is fine to keep.
Android 4.4.3 Firmware
A developer noted "Android 4.4.3 is under testing. Build number is "KTU72B," which dated around March 13th and probably contains the bug fixes on Nexus 5's "mm-qcamera-daemon" and the battery drain. But the developer did not reveal the actual timeline of the rollout schedule.
Also, there is no information if Android 4.4.3 will only bring bug fixes or if it will carry other new features for Nexus 5 and if it is also intended to be delivered for Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2012, Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 10.
Some rumors pointed Android 4.4.3 is also a pre-lollipop update for Android 4.5/5.0 coming this summer with probable appearance at Google I/O 2014 in June.
Nexus 8 slate is expected to run the next-generation of Android OS and will replace Nexus 7 series starting this year.
Android 4.5/5.0 is likely to arrive on Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013 but low chances on Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 2012 due to the strict implementation of 18-month update window software support followed by manufacturers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Updates; PokeNav And Pokemon Halloween Detailed
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage